Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Hello All, New with a couple of questions

List and discuss upcoming or previous events. Share event stories/photos/directions.
TechMOGogy

Re: Hello All, New with a couple of questions

Post#31 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 am

thisoneguy wrote:I went to look at the one in Mainz, I couldn't find the tag on the engine next to the transmission. But I did take a picture of the vin 46332117100580.
The engine had a kinda click, then I'm not so familiar with diesels so it may not have been anything. Other than that the car looked good, I mean for a 20 year old car with 300k km. I guess I need to find those pictures showing where the engine tag is. This one is first registered in 10/95 so I don't know we can use that as an indication of the engine. It also didn't have the diesel heater, no biggie, but a note.

This one is only 10 min from me so it is a plus makes it easy to look at.

Engine tag location. If it does not have this it just means the block has not been replace - not necessarily a bad thing if it’s running fine.
Attachments
72AB5720-A18C-4AA7-8F4C-9A6A76236188.jpeg
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

thisoneguy

Post#32 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 am

Thank you all again for all of the information. I tried looking for 270s but all I find are later model 2000s and later. I could not bring those back.

This One

So it is to the other bit of advice given, it is a 1994 320 - gas - all the bells I was looking for (not too keen on green) Spoke with them, There’s some rust on the driver’s door, front bumper, and on window frames. I am waiting on pictures for more clarification. it is a green sticker - so there's that, but here is kind of the kicker. 22,950 Euro - While seemingly not that bad, and really on the better side of what is available - Comes out to ~$27k - above my planned budget, still doable, but a look at Gs in the states, that money can buy a 2000s G500 that I won't have to ship - I mean I will miss out on driving it here but really I haven't seen so many places to go outside of offroad-parks.

Am I looking at it wrong, not looking for the right things, or just not finding the right trucks? Always, your input is appreciated.

vadimivanovich

Post#33 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am

That's too much for a rusty gasoline G in Europe. Buy the Europa, if you can find a decent one.
"The way you think is the way you live"

TechMOGogy

Post#34 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am

That 1994 is not yet US legal but if I remember correctly you would be bringing it back after your done in Europe, so thats all good.
For me, it all depends on what you want/need. Not sure I would drive a newer G.
I have a couple friends with them and they just aren't for me. I would rather get a nice SUV.
Again, that's just me as I really like the pre 2000 and earlier 463's
A little more refined than a 460 but not an electronic truck like post 2k's
If the rust was not too bad I would consider the one you posted for sure!
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

thisoneguy

Post#35 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 pm

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/merc ... dfad212127

I think I may have found it. Went and looked at the G. It's pretty sharp. All original, no rust. Had a bit of a rough idle and some white smoke, he said it was from water. Dipstck was clean as was the filler port. Axel's were clean, grease looked freshish. The AC didn't work, he said he would fix that. It was originally a Dutch car.
Final price, he said he couldn't move 22,900 Euro.

Final thing was he said he would give 10k Euro for our US spec 2009 Volvo XC 70 with 75k miles. We paid $14k in July with 65k miles. It seems fair, what does the board think?

inkblotz

Post#36 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:44 am

thisoneguy

Post#37 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 am

I saw that one. Too new and over budget. I was hesitant because the one I'm looking at is gas, but it seems the 300GE has a good reputation for reliability.

inkblotz

Post#38 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:47 am

The 300GE you listed appears to be in good shape.

pierre repairs

Post#39 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 am

Thé GE looks clean and tidy - in respect of the AC make sure he doesn’t only refill as usually the condenser is leaking hence make sure a presssure test with leak detection test. It’s a dealer and he MUST give you at least 6 months warranty as per EU rules. The 300 TD is overpriced and will be a tax killer in Germany with loads of hassle to enter big town or area with climate zone - forget about such old diesel in north Europe - price for your XC is about right and many German and nearby Dutch love US specs Volvo
Make sure the last TUeV or Dekra (MOT) inspection has a clean sheet
G300TD - W463.331 & G250 - W461.401 Wolf LL

thisoneguy

Post#40 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 am

Thank you, as always for your sound advice. I think I'm going to pull the trigger, but the wife of making us keep the Volvo... C'est la vie...

Return to “G People, Events, Treffens, Trail-Runs”