Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

My LWB w460 300GD 1982 renovation

List and discuss upcoming or previous events. Share event stories/photos/directions.
cal_w460

Re: My LWB w460 300GD 1982 renovation

Post#91 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:08 am

Had to sort out some other stuff the last couple of weeks. But now I'm back finishing the last bits on the G.

I have assembled the front axle with new wheel bearings, seals, king pin bearings, GKN CV-joints, the overhauled brake calipers with new pads, new brake discs, brake hoses and so on. Also new koni shocks, front springs, all rubber bushings and so on.

Today I adjusted / tightened the wheel hub bearings. 200Nm on the inner nut, then 1/4 turn back, and 200Nm on the outer nut according to the MB Workshop manual. Hub was a bit hard to turn afterwords, but I will drive carefully around the block before I change anything I guess.

Some pictures from today. Had to fab my own tool / rod to hold the hub while tightening the hub nut.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I put some copper paste on the flange before fitting the new disc.

image.jpeg

cal_w460

Post#92 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 am

Then I fitted the new wheels in the front to see the height with the springs/body lift/rubber spacer above the spring. Seems good. 2000mm to the raingutter now.

image.jpeg

cal_w460

Post#93 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:13 am

New rear springs / shocks assembled. Replaced the bushings for the panhard rod aswell.

Have to sort out the rear wheel bearings now. Not sure how to get this stuck bearing race out of the axle tube.

Might have to cut it carefully with a small grinding disc?
(Blocking the whole into the axle ofcourse.)

(I have waxed everything after painting it, thats why it looks a bit messy)
image.jpeg

cal_w460

Post#94 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 am

So I had a little battle with the rear brake adjusters. The price for a pair of new Perrot ones was a bit steep at 500 EUR. I ended up modifying the MB/ATE ones to make them fit. It shouldn't compromise the rigidity of them, only removed some of the material from the base.

W460300GD

Post#95 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:23 am

Fantastic job!

Olli

bram_r

Post#96 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:02 pm

cal_w460 wrote:Have to sort out the rear wheel bearings now. Not sure how to get this stuck bearing race out of the axle tube.

Bearing puller and slide hammer?

Most pullers can be connected to a slide hammer with an adapter.

gr. Bram
'experience is what you have, just after you needed it..'

bram_r

Post#97 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:24 pm

cal_w460 wrote:Today I adjusted / tightened the wheel hub bearings. 200Nm on the inner nut, then 1/4 turn back, and 200Nm on the outer nut according to the MB Workshop manual. Hub was a bit hard to turn afterwords, but I will drive carefully around the block before I change anything I guess.

There used to be a nice link with front axle service bearing adjustment written by Dave Gomes, which helped me getting the right adjustment on the bearings. Link as seen below looks like it's dead however.

If your bearings are too tight, you will feel the hub getting (too) warm after driving.

inkblotz wrote:Peruse the Club G Tech articles. The are a couple one by Dave Gomes regarding hub rebuild.

http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech.php?sid ... order=DESC
'experience is what you have, just after you needed it..'

vadimivanovich

Post#98 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Paging Mr. Nihil... white courtesy telephone...
"The way you think is the way you live"

cal_w460

Post#99 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 am

Thank you Bram! The rear axle (wheel bearings / brakes / suspension / etc.) is assembled. That bearing race came out of the axle tube pretty easy with a slide hammer.

The hard part was to achieve 500Nm on that hub bearing nut on the rear drive shafts. I managed to destroy two workbenches when using a 2m tube to get good leverage when following that "just bear down on it" advise. ;) The big wise ripped off the corner of the workbenches. Had to reinforce the tabletop with sheet metal.

Regarding the front wheel bearing play / adjustment. According to the MB Workshop Manual, 200Nm should be applied to the inner nut. Then it should be backed off at the same time as checking the bearing play with a micrometer setup towards the hub. Until a certain value is achieved. Then the outer nut should be torqued to 200Nm aswell.

However, I just backed off my inner nut 1/4 of a turn. Then torqued the outer nut to 200Nm. Read it at several places (gwoa, pointedthree etc.). But I believe that it might have got too tight still. Would be great if that link started working again. :)

vadimivanovich

Post#100 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am

I usually back off the inner nut until loose, then hand tighten as far as I can, then loosen slightly. New bearings will wear in. Old bearings should be set up more loosely. Degrees of turn are not strictly reliable - you need to feel how tight/loose things are and judge from there.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Return to “G People, Events, Treffens, Trail-Runs”