Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Trail Run check list?

Share stories/photos/community information.
Daewoo

Re: Trail Run check list?

Post#21 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:06 pm

I saw your setup in DV and it was very impressive. Maybe I need to look at your setup again. I agreed way overpriced

Otiswesty

Post#22 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm

Use the Gaia GPS app. Buy the deluxe non ad version and you can also preload all your maps. Use a phone or smaller tablet and carry a USB spare power pack.
461.213, 463.241

Otiswesty

Post#23 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:12 pm

I met Fred and Elisabeth when they were driving around the world in their Ponton. https://classicstrider.com/ They had many many spares and were towing a small camping trailer. Like extra shocks, many tools, on and on. All stashed away in the fender wells inside the doors and any extra space available. While they were driving out of town, their rear diff grenaded. Got fixed here at MBI, but all the weight on an under engineered car is no bueno.

I bring a few spares, but am happy to hitch a ride out to a shop or get strap towed if needed rather than carry 500# of spare parts. Having driven an old VW for many years of travels, a non-catastrophic breakdown is just part of the adventure and can lead to unexpected but interesting experiences.
461.213, 463.241

AlanMcR

Post#24 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Agreed, just carry the small parts that will get you going again. Along with a carefully chosen set of tools, of course.
...Alan

Gelande

Post#25 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 am

@Alan
thanks for the Cricket wireless tip. :D

vadimivanovich

Post#26 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:49 am

I'm a huge fan of Google's "Project Fi" phone service ($20/mo plus actual data use). Plus, the Pixel 3 is earth-shattering.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Otiswesty

Post#27 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:00 am

I'm a Project Fi user. The non-Apple phone selection is a minus for many people.
Their international plan is amazing and the whole deal is cheap as can be. I had the Pixel for a couple years and it is a great phone. I'm on the MotoX4 now which is dirt cheap ($150) and a great phone as well.
461.213, 463.241

AlanMcR

Post#28 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 am

Just bought a Pixel 3 XL, excellent phone.
...Alan

vadimivanovich

Post#29 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:21 am

Fi now supports the iPhone, but there are some features that iphones can't support. The wife still wont give up her iPhone, but she "borrows" my Pixel any time she needs to do anything besides calls & texts. The camera is especially impressive, and the AI is very handy.

Yes, Alan, the 3XL rules!
"The way you think is the way you live"

Daewoo

Post#30 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:17 pm

There’s a pixel 3a version. Any recommendation? It’s cheaper probably not better

Still need a fridge. There are some Chinese products on Amazon with great reviews. Some looked like Engle knockoff

Return to “G People”