Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2019 G63 Press Release discusses a lot of the suspension changes and structural design changes for all G models

List and discuss upcoming or previous events. Share event stories/photos/directions.
Gelande

2019 G63 Press Release discusses a lot of the suspension changes and structural design changes for all G models

Post#1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 am

skip over the bling info and you get to some good nitty gritty
Attachments
Press Release - AMG G63.pdf
(188.63 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

TechMOGogy

Re: 2019 G63 Press Release discusses a lot of the suspension changes and structural design changes for all G models

Post#2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 am

Wow - its interesting!
Way too many computer controlled systems so it will be a disposable truck vs lasting for decades but the structural body changes and material changes are interesting!
The engine HP (577) and Torque (627) are nuts!!
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

vadimivanovich

Re: 2019 G63 Press Release discusses a lot of the suspension changes and structural design changes for all G models

Post#3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 am

All of this really does sounds interesting. I can't help but question the overwhelming dependence on electronics... but then again, for the 1st 1-200K miles it will probably be brilliant. After that though... eeek.
"The way you think is the way you live"

stevegsmith

Post#4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Where's it going to land price wise? Anyone know yet?
Steve

wsaraceni

Post#5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:All of this really does sounds interesting. I can't help but question the overwhelming dependence on electronics... but then again, for the 1st 1-200K miles it will probably be brilliant. After that though... eeek.

Thats an issue with ANY modern car though. Both because of new technology and government regulations. Wouldn't you agree? If this is an amazing car for off road use even if it only lasts 200k miles its pretty cool in my book. I know there is a love for the old fix it with a hammer, duct tape and screw driver G's on here but those days are long gone unfortunately.

Maybe 10-50 years down the road someone can make PRE-US g wagon replicas similar to the icon FJ

mogwild

Post#6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Some markets, just not here, you can still buy a vehicle that rides like a lumberwagon (and I'd run it all day long) with modern amenities such as driver and passenger airbags (and little else), diesel, seats 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWdbnRhoNI

Or the doublecab version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgoiQd-mcI

Look at the beautiful solid axle:
_7054926_teyew.jpg

As you say, regulations killed the 'real' W463, still a market so they adapted, for better (for some) for worse (for others, me included). But I'm not the target market, I'd never buy a brand new G, even the last series (just cost alone). But 15yr+ W461's are more my style anyway.
-trev

wsaraceni

Post#7 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm

mogwild wrote:Some markets, just not here, you can still buy a vehicle that rides like a lumberwagon (and I'd run it all day long) with modern amenities such as driver and passenger airbags (and little else), diesel, seats 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWdbnRhoNI

Or the doublecab version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgoiQd-mcI

Look at the beautiful solid axle:
_7054926_teyew.jpg

As you say, regulations killed the 'real' W463, still a market so they adapted, for better (for some) for worse (for others, me included). But I'm not the target market, I'd never buy a brand new G, even the last series (just cost alone). But 15yr+ W461's are more my style anyway.

have you checked out the patriot camper youtube build of their toyota? thats kinda similar to what you linked.

i think in the US at least, we are going to see an abundance of "like new" G wagons that hit the 25 year mark. In northern NJ, there is a local "land rover" dealer that has a bunch of Arkonik branded land rover rebuilds that you'd swear were new (and priced accordingly).

i dont have any G wagon. And more than likely if i do get one it'll be in the 50k range not the 150k+ range, but i do like the new ones. To me it's kinda like the whole NY vs Chicago pizza thing. Chicago pizza isnt so bad if you dont compare it to real pizza. The fact that the new G wagon is capable of any off roading is amazing in 2018 because in the US they probably sell more in beverly hills than they do in states like utah in total.

wsaraceni

Post#8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HLX1R6L4E . here is part 1 of the video i'm refrencing

mogwild

Post#9 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Drooooooool! That flatdeck....yes please (not a camper guy, but nice execution)
-trev

Ericsworld

Post#10 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 pm

The aluminum doors and other body panels seem cool, and it seems like they were able to retain that signature vault-door feel when shutting them (at least from a video that I saw).

But then again, having beefy steel panels is also kind of part of the appeal, so I don't know.

Does anyone here actually like the independent suspension up front?

Return to “G People, Events, Treffens, Trail-Runs”