Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Heading south soon

Share stories/photos/community information.
schuhe

Heading south soon

Post#1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

In the next week or so - retirement allows indecision and procrastination about such specifics - we are heading out for a camping run to Death Valley, Borrego Springs, then heading to AZ and New Mexico for the slow trip to continue. The G and tear drop trailer are up to speed (relative term) and ready. Passing through central OR, likely Burns, the south east, etc.

As anyone been to Anza-Borrego and Ghost Mountain? Seeking dark night sky for star viewing; dryer weather; and warm(er) days!! This is reported to be one of the darkest places in lower 48 USA.

The recent story about Rider South (name of former resident of Ghost Mountain) is very interesting. His family homesteaded the mountain top in the 1930's during the Great Depression. His father was Australian and author of Western (US) stories/books, (Michael South) and mother from New York City - an unlikely coupling. The remaining off-spring of homesteader (Rider South) recently returned after 60 years of leaving, reviewing what remains of the site. It was a difficult near-subsistence life style.

vadimivanovich

Re: Heading south soon

Post#2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Quite the adventure planned Tom! Please take photos and share :)
"The way you think is the way you live"

schuhe

Post#3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

We will take photos of things interesting. Looking forward to seeing everyone at Dai's later this year. Hope to have stories at the camp fire.

G Nome

Post#4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Let me know if you are coming to town. If not if you are close I would like to roll out for a night or two to see you both.

Safe travels.

Kent
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

Fernando BR

Post#5 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:06 am

If i remember well , its an old project with this new truck. So could birds , trees and all the stars shine all those days specialy to you and wife.

schuhe

Post#6 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:27 pm

: )

Otiswesty

Post#7 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Sounds nice, we are heading down to Utah & Arizona. We plan to check out The Wave and do some cool weather camping down around there and near Page/Lake Powell before heading further south.
461.213, 463.241

schuhe

Post#8 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm

When are you going, Eric?

Gelande

Post#9 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:45 am

Tom Deckowski led a clubgwagen rally at Anza twice I think. It is a huge area but there is not much out there..... But yes for star gazing with a new moon, its quite spectacular if you stay in the northern or middle part. There are towns down in MEX that light comes into the bottom from.

We ran with that group and others did here too. We had to bail out early (only time I left a rally due to a mechanical issue) as my t-case was failing.....made it all the way back to LA though before imploding.

DV is equally splendid for star gazing.

Anza is actually the largest park in the continental USA.
Only beat by Wrangell St Elias National Park to your north.
But there is little out there.....I find so much more interesting stuff in DV in comparison.

Anyways, contact Tom he has routes to share I'd bet....

here are some photos from his routes, and you will see that most of the coolest routes can't be done with a trailer.....but maybe you guys can leave it in a camp and explore with just the car for a few hours here or there. Lot of rattle snakes out there, more than any other area I've been to....so beware of which bush you pee next to....but no reason not to go.

https://redbulladdict.smugmug.com/Trave ... /i-XKNg3VN

and much better photos with his Jeep and FJ Cruiser outing

https://redbulladdict.smugmug.com/Travel/FJC-in-Anza/

G Nome

Post#10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 am

Wow looks like great trails in Anza!

Thanks for the photo links Mike.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

Return to “G People”