Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Baja XL Rally LA---->Cabo---->LA

Share stories/photos/community information.
Johnny Christensen

Re: Baja XL Rally LA---->Cabo---->LA

Post#11 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:12 am

rpin wrote:I'm getting my truck issues sorted (fingers crossed), but 4000km with out any sort of support makes me VERY nervous.

If it is your Wolf, then I don't think you should worry too much. As long as the wheel bearings are good and you don't leak any significant oil. Then any challenges you might encounter is in the flat tire or blown bulb region. A well maintained mechanical G is a very forgiving travel companion.
We do all of our overland trips as solo vehicle. As long as you don't have a major crash - you are fine.

nbutze

Post#12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:00 am

rpin wrote:
nbutze wrote:
rpin wrote:I'm getting my truck issues sorted (fingers crossed), but 4000km with out any sort of support makes me VERY nervous. Nick, how many passengers do you have at the moment? I am intrigued tho. Can we get a small group with its own support (within the group) to get us out of trouble?

Just Lesley and I are going now. Maybe our friend with a motorcycle. I think we could get someone to support us!

camping with the soft top rig would be the more difficult part.

I would bring a ground tent and mattress or something. Or figure out a make shift bed situation in the back. Floated the idea by some friends, but no takers yet. I'll let keep you posted on messenger.

Lets try to talk Bill Rader into making the trip. ;)
@nickbutze on instagram
G63 - G280 - G500

inkblotz

Post#13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:25 am

Gelande wrote:funny, after the shocking $1800 fee listing is this

Spirit Category for highly unsuitable vehicles.
category3
FREE ADMISSION FOR 4 PEOPLE
Drive a completely crazy bonkers vehicle and come for FREE.
Tell us what you’d like to drive and we’ll let you know if you qualify for the spirit category.
The Spirit Category is intended to keep the original banger rally atmosphere of our adventures alive. Come in an an old jalopy. Come in a lemon. Drive an ice cream truck or an Oscar Meyer wiener car. Drive a mutant vehicle leftover from last year’s Burning Man. Be funny. Be creative. Put smiles on people’s faces wherever you drive.
Space is limited. So we ask you to pay a $500 Spirit Deposit. If you show up at our pre-rally press conference in LA with your car, 2 days prior to the race and you also appear with the said car at the start line, we will refund your deposit. If you don’t, you’ll lose the deposit. All lost deposits go to charity.

Wonder if my Smart car would qualify?

apple

Post#14 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 am

inkblotz wrote:Wonder if my Smart car would qualify?

Send it :D

rpin

Post#15 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am

Johnny Christensen wrote:
rpin wrote:I'm getting my truck issues sorted (fingers crossed), but 4000km with out any sort of support makes me VERY nervous.

If it is your Wolf, then I don't think you should worry too much. As long as the wheel bearings are good and you don't leak any significant oil. Then any challenges you might encounter is in the flat tire or blown bulb region. A well maintained mechanical G is a very forgiving travel companion.
We do all of our overland trips as solo vehicle. As long as you don't have a major crash - you are fine.

Thanks!

rpin

Post#16 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:35 am

nbutze wrote:
rpin wrote:
nbutze wrote:
Just Lesley and I are going now. Maybe our friend with a motorcycle. I think we could get someone to support us!

camping with the soft top rig would be the more difficult part.

I would bring a ground tent and mattress or something. Or figure out a make shift bed situation in the back. Floated the idea by some friends, but no takers yet. I'll let keep you posted on messenger.

Lets try to talk Bill Rader into making the trip. ;)

Interesting idea!

inkblotz

Post#17 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 am

apple wrote:
inkblotz wrote:Wonder if my Smart car would qualify?

Send it :D

That's awesome, though I don't know of any smart motor that could get air like that. :D

nbutze

Post#18 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:33 pm

There are still spots left to get in on the action boys!!!! come on!
@nickbutze on instagram
G63 - G280 - G500

Return to “G People”