Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Magna Steyr to Open US based plant

Share stories/photos/community information.
Gelande

Magna Steyr to Open US based plant

Post#1 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:24 am

PatrickBateman

Re: Magna Steyr to Open US based plant

Post#2 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:12 pm

Article is behind a paywall

Winston

Post#3 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:17 am

IG @oldironmash

VeldWerks

Post#4 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:57 pm

Betting SC or GA..... They want the IRA funding and direct access to their US clients...

I'll be happy to sell them our Thermal shielding for their Battery packs, but can never see an EV in my future...

Otiswesty

Post#5 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Okay, they'll put the rear seats back in in South Carolina or Georgia. That what MB has been doing with the Metris van.
461.213, 463.241

w123_sedan_guy

Post#6 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:00 am

Magna already has a plant here in Greenville, SC. I did a brief and limited area walk through as they were looking to refresh the wireless network infrastructure. They press body panels for BMW (X Series) and Volvo trucks out of sheet metal at this facility.
- Kyle

jonathan joseph

Post#7 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:36 am

Otiswesty wrote:Okay, they'll put the rear seats back in in South Carolina or Georgia. That what MB has been doing with the Metris van.

And the Metris has now been discontinued for the US entirely.
They started out solely re-assembling Sprinters here in SC but four years ago expanded the plant and now they are built entirely from scratch here.

Otiswesty

Post#8 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:34 pm

jonathan joseph wrote:They started out solely re-assembling Sprinters here in SC but four years ago expanded the plant and now they are built entirely from scratch here.

Wow, that is very cool. Interesting that they advance the assembly requirement as the sales volume demonstrates high volume vehicle sales to support it. I suspect that assembly costs in SE USA are lower than in Germany. Too bad the Metris sales did not take off. I think the 4 -matic version would have generated additional interest, but maybe not enough compared to the larger vans

I have been very interested in the Metris/V-class as they make a really nice Westfalia conversion in Europe called the Marco Polo. All of the camper components down to the small fasteners are shown in EPC. The current Euro diesel power plant is USA certified and available in the Sprinter, and the vehicle body is also NHTSA certified compliant. That means it would be possible to import a grey market Mercedes V300 Marco Polo Westfalia 4-matic with the help of a willing RI and a dealer in Germany helping to order/build a relatively complicated special order vehicle. That's my fantasy camper, but I have a simple, older, easy to fix Westfalia already.
461.213, 463.241

Return to “G People”