Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

The bicycle topic...

Share stories/photos/community information.
Dai C

The bicycle topic...

Post#1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:57 pm

So there was an interest among G heads to discuss interest in bicycles and the like. It was in Jonathan Joseph's occupation thread. Thought I'd bring it up here.

I have been a road bike fan for a long time. My first bike bought with my own money was a Schwinn "Varsity" in green. A tank. It didn't fit. I was told I would grow into it. I will say no more.

The next was a Gitane "Tour de France" with Reynolds 531 tubing. I road over this 1000 miles touring in Europe on that thing. Flexy but comfortable.

I upgraded it slowly to Campy Record components and then transferred those to a Celo Europa frame that fit me. A machine I still ride.

I also bought a Cannondale mountain bike, the first one that they made with the 16" rear wheel and an 18" front. Great bike. I installed a suspension front fork. Made it a really great bike. I still ride it.

-Dai

Gelande

Re: The bicycle topic...

Post#2 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 pm

funny, my road bike is 1973 gitane Interclub, simplex, brooks saddle....
all original except cables and tires and brake pads.

I cut down the handlebars and flipped them upside down.

Dai C

Post#3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10 pm

My brother still has my Gitane, I think. It is a '73 as well. I installed an Ideale leather superlight saddle. Simplex. Changed out the bars and stem to Cinelli Giro de Italia and Universal sidepulls.
Never liked the sew ups much. Still have those wheels with Campy Tipo hubs.

-Dai

tarmo

Post#4 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:43 pm

Right now i have Merida Road FLX 906 and Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp '2000. It will be changed in next year. Looking for new S-works either carbon or M5 frame to convert it to full XTR / Mavic SLR bike and also new S-works roadie also… I was riding a lot before my kid was born. Then there was 5 years total black-out. This spring i started riding again…

Woody

Post#5 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 am

A few years ago I stumbled into a great deal on a hand-made Co-Motion Espresso (made in Eugene) with full Ultegra and Ritchey WCS bits. That thing is butter. It was built by a friend who worked at Co-Motion and built it for himself from a hybrid of 531 and 853. Got myself a pro bicycle fit for that.

My mountain bikes all have mixtures of Shimano XT and XTR
1998 Cannondale F2000 - now a townie with a rigid IRD steel fork
2005 Mrazek BOH FX (made in Czech Rep.) with a Marzocchi Marathon
2006 Devinci Remix 5 (made in Quebec) with Maverick DUC 32

My kids all have sweet machines including a custom made 20" wheel XTR 7 speed kids bike, but the coolest bike we have has to be my wife's Bianchi Milano Cafe cruiser. Love that celeste metal flake!

It helps that I am "in the industry" 8-)

Dai C

Post#6 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:04 am

So interesting Woody. I bought PK a Bianci Cafe Cruiser the second year they were offered in Celeste Green. They are the coolest. A rear hub like the Sturmy Archer three speed but a seven speed instead. It has a nice wicker basket for the handlebars.

-Dai

jonathan joseph

Post#7 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Here's a picture, not of my bike but an almost identical one. Mine is in storage so I don't have a picture.

Mine has a special '84 Olympic edition pantographed Campy Super Record Gruppo. Bought new left over in 85 for about $1400. That was a lot of working hours back then when I was making like $4.00/hr!

This bike was the love of my life as a teen. I need to get my fat ass back on it in the new year.

Today's my birthday, 38, so I guess I've had the bike going on 24 years now. I don't think I've owned anything longer. Wow, thanks Dai for the trip down memory lane!

Jonathan

Man, I loved the Celeste green Bianchi's! If my heart hadn't been stolen by the sexy red Olmo, I'd probably have one of them.

I also had a Specialized Stump Jumper in the late eighties that I rode 40 miles a day commuting to work part on/ part offroad for a couple of years while I was car mechanic. I thought I was cool working on cars but not owning one. Had no real passion for that bike, it was great but no personality like the Olmo.
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (220.13 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

Dai C

Post#8 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Happy Birthday, Jonathan! The Olmo is a beautifully built bike. I remember that Campagnolo gruppo, those brakes are so elegant. Special cranks as I recall that integrated one of the chainring bolt connections into the crankarm. Dust caps that required a two pin tool to remove it. Super clean lines and finish. When you get a chance post a couple of photos. Very special stuff. Wicked cool, man.
I am starting to ride the rollers again. I have to get back on the bikes in a disciplined way. The closest thing to flying for me.

-Dai

inkblotz

Post#9 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:43 am

Mongoose.JPG
Happy B-Day Jonathan!

My bikes in order Stock photos used:
Mattel Stallion: With shock absorbing seat!
Schwinn Continental: Banana yellow
Mongoose All Terrain Bike ATB This is my current (since 1980) mountain bike: Chrome Moly Frame updated to Shimano brakes and index shifting (it came with the hunt and seek gear shifter)
My road bike a Nishiki is one that I resurrected that someone was throwing away.
Attachments
schwinncontinental.jpg
schwinncontinental.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Stallion.JPG
Stallion.JPG (76.19 KiB) Viewed 2364 times

Maxwell Smart

Post#10 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:42 pm

Happy Birthday Jonathan!

I can't even remember all the bikes I had or permutations of bikes. But I worked at various bike stores for many many years and had the fortune of getting highly discounted pricing; bike manufacturers want the staff to be on their bikes so at the time you could by a bike for about 30% of retail, less than what the store could buy a bike for.

Now unfortunately my current rides are all quite old - a Marinoni with SLX tubing and Dura Ace 7 speed and a Gary Fisher CR-7 with Suntour XC Pro and first generation Rock Shox.

Been thinking of getting my road bike back into a ridable shape as it currently has tri bars on it but struggling to find some 7/8 speed STI shifters to put on it.

Dreaming of an Independent with SRAM Red. Was never really a campy man though I do love the old Record C.

My favourite group set that I owned had to be the Mavic Superlight set which I had upgraded with Modolo Carbon brakes. I can't even remember the bike it was on... at one point I briefly had a bike with Aero Tubing which was chromed with a transparent blue clear coat - looked stunning. And it has been bothering me that I can't remember the make!

Return to “G People”