This is bit different and threading on edge what is a picture of G. But people seem to like it, maybe few also here. Some may have already seen it on my Instagram or ArtStation page. If it is not appropriate, moderators may delete
Anyway, addition to my stupid and worthless feature-heavy custom restoration ‘bastard’ project, what is taking up years but is now become hindered mostly by sheer number of new parts I need and want, I have some other weird activities. Also, as pointless and wasteful of time around here where I live as building custom vehicle. Ideally, I am more into game environments, level design and low-detail props. But as I was not impressed by what was available in 3D stock sites – many G models are clearly made only using drawings and not very observant to real vehicles – I thought to have a go. First, I started because I need a base for designing custom bumpers before committing to metal. Then I wanted to try some other cosmetic options. But one point I felt bit nostalgic for a vehicle of what now very little is left.
So, here is a 1985 300GD W460 SWB. Someone paid almost 60K DMs in Stuttgart to receive it.
RAL 9001 Cream White, upscale Rodeo Gray interior. All options as data-card lists.
Most details are measured as good as I could with tools like rulers, calipers, straight edges. Many individual parts are very accurate, especially ones easy to measure. But there are some considerable errors in overall package. Something is not right with width of shell. This might be because the one I used for reference is rolled over some point and then also a particular amateur made his first sheet metal panel replacements there. Also, there are many things I didn’t have access, like original front bumper, exhaust or W460 floor section. So, the model is good enough for things I need it for, designing bumpers and side protection. Just saying that I don’t feel exactly comfortable anyone trying to make expensive things based on that. Some of the parts are fully modeled, some have only one side or visible area. It is a polymodel, 4.8M triangles plus tires, 77.5M with smooth modifier applied. Made in Maya, what is more of an entertainment-oriented software. I also don’t know how it will compare to those industry standards. I considered doing it in mechanical design program, namely in SolidWorks but my experience is that I would have needed much-much more powerful PC than I have. But I had and still have no plans to manufacture knock-off G-wagens or its parts. For that level of accuracy, a 3D scanner would have been must.
Currently it is finished to certain degree, could be called 1.0. It is missing an engine and transmission. Maybe in future, on some cold winter nights I will properly UV map all the parts and make better textures in Substance. There are many possibilities to take it further.