Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

G pictures, post them here!

List and discuss upcoming or previous events. Share event stories/photos/directions.
Theo85

Re: G pictures, post them here!

Post#2231 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 am

Father's Day Weekend camping trip with the kids. My son wasn't able to make it due to a small fever after receiving his 1y shots. So I ended up being a support dad, helping watch the kids when the guys were setting up and tearing down.
En route
ImageGranite Lake 2020 by theo nassar, on Flickr
Set up
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/2jeyChT by theo nassar, on Flickr
Granite Lake, Ontario
Driving home
Hilda - 1996 G320 LWB
Ottawa, Canada

AlanMcR

Post#2232 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 am

Nice!
...Alan

Allen

Post#2233 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:23 am

Ever so slightly pre-Corona this year. :lol:

IMG_2585.JPG
Allen K - gelandelocks on IG
I fix G's, among other things.
www.artisanmotor.com
Lakemoor, IL

efg123

Post#2234 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 am

The G is running strong and cool. Vintage Air AC is a wonderful thing. Quick pic to get something up. Finally put flares on, but without gaskets. That is next.

Doing 100 miles a day every day.

efg123

Post#2235 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:27 am

The pic
Attachments
00760C51-6D3E-4FAF-8A52-7BB71BB86917.jpeg

Swede4

Post#2236 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 pm

2015 G550 Night Star Edition, my new-to-me stable mate for our SWB ‘91 300GE. Looks similar but very different after discovering the many new features, toys and V8 horsepower.

Super clean, always serviced by M-B on schedule, and it came with less than 47k miles on the clock. Plus the benefit of a hope-to-never-need M-B 12 month unlimited mileage warrantee.

I’m sure this G had never even seen a dirt driveway let alone a dirt road. My goal was to change that and what could be a better introduction to dirt than Moab? Yep, trip home included a couple sight seeing days traveling dirt roads in Moab. Moab in June was beautiful, some sites were closed or were posted with limited access. However there is so much to see and enjoy it was easy to roll even with all the “pan-f’n-demic” hysteria going on.

It’s been three weeks and no buyers remorse here, this is a great truck!

Hardy Handshakes, Swede4
Attachments
E92E06A7-D53D-4342-AE95-04F260395FF1.jpeg
7E72C12D-950F-4A8E-A83B-4F12A19A2565.jpeg
A8A73109-DE6F-445F-8F02-2E1E21EEB7F3.jpeg

kafkaonwheels

Post#2237 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 am

This is bit different and threading on edge what is a picture of G. But people seem to like it, maybe few also here. Some may have already seen it on my Instagram or ArtStation page. If it is not appropriate, moderators may delete 8-)

Anyway, addition to my stupid and worthless feature-heavy custom restoration ‘bastard’ project, what is taking up years but is now become hindered mostly by sheer number of new parts I need and want, I have some other weird activities. Also, as pointless and wasteful of time around here where I live as building custom vehicle. Ideally, I am more into game environments, level design and low-detail props. But as I was not impressed by what was available in 3D stock sites – many G models are clearly made only using drawings and not very observant to real vehicles – I thought to have a go. First, I started because I need a base for designing custom bumpers before committing to metal. Then I wanted to try some other cosmetic options. But one point I felt bit nostalgic for a vehicle of what now very little is left.

So, here is a 1985 300GD W460 SWB. Someone paid almost 60K DMs in Stuttgart to receive it.
RAL 9001 Cream White, upscale Rodeo Gray interior. All options as data-card lists.

gelandewagen_249a.jpg

gelandewagen_249b.jpg

Most details are measured as good as I could with tools like rulers, calipers, straight edges. Many individual parts are very accurate, especially ones easy to measure. But there are some considerable errors in overall package. Something is not right with width of shell. This might be because the one I used for reference is rolled over some point and then also a particular amateur made his first sheet metal panel replacements there. Also, there are many things I didn’t have access, like original front bumper, exhaust or W460 floor section. So, the model is good enough for things I need it for, designing bumpers and side protection. Just saying that I don’t feel exactly comfortable anyone trying to make expensive things based on that. Some of the parts are fully modeled, some have only one side or visible area. It is a polymodel, 4.8M triangles plus tires, 77.5M with smooth modifier applied. Made in Maya, what is more of an entertainment-oriented software. I also don’t know how it will compare to those industry standards. I considered doing it in mechanical design program, namely in SolidWorks but my experience is that I would have needed much-much more powerful PC than I have. But I had and still have no plans to manufacture knock-off G-wagens or its parts. For that level of accuracy, a 3D scanner would have been must.

gelandewagen_249c.jpg

gelandewagen_249d.jpg

Currently it is finished to certain degree, could be called 1.0. It is missing an engine and transmission. Maybe in future, on some cold winter nights I will properly UV map all the parts and make better textures in Substance. There are many possibilities to take it further.
1985 300 GD Turbo (Project)

bram_r

Post#2238 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 am

1979 MB 280GE BGS in the 'Grenzland'.
Wrong border I guess, but still though it'd make a nice picture.

IMG_9087 (Medium).JPG

gr. Bram
'experience is what you have, just after you needed it..'

Otiswesty

Post#2239 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Tired dog in the campsite after a 9 mile hike
Attachments
NortheastOregon.jpg

Otiswesty

Post#2240 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm

I went old school 463 on the front end of my G500 today. Deleted the brushguard and replaced the LED headlights and DRLs with the original H4 Bosch headlights.

I'm kind of digging it for now. I might add some bright off road lights attached to the bumper brushguard mounting brackets.
Attachments
463OldSkul.jpg
Backdate.jpg
Update.jpg

Return to “G People, Events, Treffens, Trail-Runs”