Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

PSA: Phishing attempts targeting ClubGWagen members.

Share stories/photos/community information.
nihil

PSA: Phishing attempts targeting ClubGWagen members.

Post#1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 am

There have been phishing attempts via PM/private message trying to get folks to enter their ClubG credentials on a non-ClubG site. One such message looked like:
Hello,

I am very interested in your for sale, But first click my link and log in, If
there is anything you like for a trade.

htt:/clubgwagenon.nut.cc/forums/login.htm

Thanks

(link broken intentionally to prevent clicking)

Not that it needs to be said, but do not enter your ClubG credentials on any site that looks even remotely suspicious. You can verify our legitimate site by clicking the lock icon in your browsers URL bar and confirming that the SSL certificate matches the sites domain (clubgwagen.com) and that it is spelled correctly, without any additional or out of place characters.

The account associated with these messages has been disabled, and the offending hosts firewalled out. That's not to say they wont create new accounts from alternate networks, so keep your eyes open.

If you did inadvertently fall prey and entered your credentials for such a message, change them now and let me know so I can keep an eye out.

Stay safe folks.
1982 300GD LWB RHD

offroad-world

Re: PSA: Phishing attempts targeting ClubGWagen members.

Post#2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 am

hi H .

thank you for that info and keeping the site clean .
we are a good community here and so members know where to buy or they post if it is good to buy .
we all comment on that to make it a safe buy , this very often happens to vehicles , i mostly cannot tell because i am on the other side of the pond but give my mustard to it ;)

mfg. guido .
300GDT OM617A Kastenwagen, 2850mm wheel base
250GDT OM602A Single Cab, 3400mm wheel base , gone to friend Orest

lightwriter

Post#3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 am

CRAP! i think i fell for it. Just changed my password.

Titus

Post#4 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 am

Same here, the PM looked legit and was from a member I used to deal with.
Anyway, changed the password, hope this is enough.
Thanks Nihil.

nihil

Post#5 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 am

Yes, it appears our friend Cdn_Medic had his account compromised. I have deleted all phishing posts and scripted up something to run through the database and change all the phishing private messages sent out to:
Phishing attempt, disregard.

I've deactivated his account for the moment, as it is not known how extensively his personal information and services have been compromised. He stops in the chat occasionally, so I'm sure I'll be seeing him there soon enough. If any of you have his phone number, it might be a good thing to give him a call and let him know what's up. The longer it goes on without him noticing, the more damage can be done.
1982 300GD LWB RHD

dg567

Post#6 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 am

Received the same PM from him and knew it was suspicious.

Mdan

Post#7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 pm

I received his phishing attempt, disregard. Pm
So did he send this or was he saying he was compromised?

nihil

Post#8 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm

I changed all the phishing messages to "Phishing attempt, disregard" at database level. The first post has an example of what the actual phishing message looked like.
1982 300GD LWB RHD

nihil

Post#9 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Cdn_Medic stopped in the chat a few minutes ago. I didn't get a chance to talk to him before he left, but he had this to say:
Cdn_Medic wrote:23:33 -!- Cdn_Medic has joined #clubgwagen

23:34 <Cdn_Medic> Hey guys so I just noticed that this account was hacked as well....... along with my email and banking info....

23:34 <Cdn_Medic> I do not plan on reactivating my account until I have all this fixed but I hope no one else got hacked because of this.

23:37 <Cdn_Medic> I am sorry that this caused more work for everyone but I was away and didn't notice until I was contacted by a friend and warned. Sorry again and thanks for warning others and deactivating my account someone over at Expo got scammed for about 2500 US because of this hack so I feel really bad.

23:37 <Cdn_Medic> also to the guy who thought it was me please let them Know I am not a douch and was unaware this happened thanks

23:42 -!- Cdn_Medic has quit [Quit: client exited.]

Sounds like some significant damage was done. I hope he's able to get it sorted out without too much difficulty. Getting that sort of mess cleaned up is a daunting task.
1982 300GD LWB RHD

Return to “G People”