Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Part #'s - Sport Bumper

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
cb78

Part #'s - Sport Bumper

Post#1 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am keen on ordering all of the necessary parts to convert this bumper on my 2004 G500.
Is there somebody here with access to all the required part #'s (including for any hardware & fasteners, etc)?

Much appreciated in advance!
Attachments
sport bumper.png

Otiswesty

Re: Part #'s - Sport Bumper

Post#2 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 am

Are you trying to just update the look? If you want to create more utility, you could add the GWA vented tow pin bumper. It costs a little less than the one you posted and is super nice for a front attachment point.
https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/prod ... -front-oem
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1983 280GE

gmaschine

Post#3 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am

Ericsworld just installed this bumper on his Europa G. Maybe he can chime in and get you the part #'s.

cb78

Post#4 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am

Otiswesty wrote:Are you trying to just update the look? If you want to create more utility, you could add the GWA vented tow pin bumper. It costs a little less than the one you posted and is super nice for a front attachment point.
https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/prod ... -front-oem

Yes, I'm trying to update the look more than utility. The tow pin bumper is very cool indeed, but I already have a w460, and this is my wife's G, and unlikely she will do any serious maneuvers with it :)

cb78

Post#5 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 am

lgo20153 wrote:Ericsworld just installed this bumper on his Europa G. Maybe he can chime in and get you the part #'s.

That would be great! I seem to recall reading his thread recently where he posted the bumper skin... I think he didn't have the rebar or all of attachment hardware??

The mercteil kit has all included items. I presume I can order everything direct from my local dealer, and hopefully save some $$, since I am located in Vancouver, BC.

Ericsworld

Post#6 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am

Yep I just got done installing this Sport bumper and finally figured it out!

I actually bought a complete, used G550 bumper from a parts seller on eBay, and then had it repainted and paint matched. This was much easier and more efficient than trying to piece together all the vents and small parts of the bumper new.

This bumper right here is very similar to what I bought, and you can see that it is near complete:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2016-16-ME ... SwvApaKH-L

I also picked up a G550 specific bumper support bracket, but it didn't have any legs on it to attach to the frame, and to this day, I still can't figure out how it goes on. DON'T BUY THIS. I then bought an OEM G63 bumper support bracket (#4638800103) and it has the legs and works great with the Sport bumper.

If your G currently has a center mounted oil cooler, you'll need to fabricate new brackets to mount it on the bumper support like I did.

Lastly, I picked up an OEM Distronic blank cover to fill in that large hole in the center opening from an eBay seller in Russia.

cb78

Post#7 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Ericsworld wrote:Yep I just got done installing this Sport bumper and finally figured it out!

I actually bought a complete, used G550 bumper from a parts seller on eBay, and then had it repainted and paint matched. This was much easier and more efficient than trying to piece together all the vents and small parts of the bumper new.

This bumper right here is very similar to what I bought, and you can see that it is near complete:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2016-16-ME ... SwvApaKH-L

I also picked up a G550 specific bumper support bracket, but it didn't have any legs on it to attach to the frame, and to this day, I still can't figure out how it goes on. DON'T BUY THIS. I then bought an OEM G63 bumper support bracket (#4638800103) and it has the legs and works great with the Sport bumper.

If your G currently has a center mounted oil cooler, you'll need to fabricate new brackets to mount it on the bumper support like I did.

Lastly, I picked up an OEM Distronic blank cover to fill in that large hole in the center opening from an eBay seller in Russia.

Thank you! So, I'll simply need the G63 support bracket and possibly fabricate a bracket to attach the oil cooler? Otherwise, other items such as dummy distronic cover are the only bits needed... Just wondering if different bolts, nuts, washer's are required?

Cheers,

Chris

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”