Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Quick but a terribly silly question. What is this piece in my picture?

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Leitkreuz

Quick but a terribly silly question. What is this piece in my picture?

Post#1 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Hey,

I'm not only a new G-class owner as of this year, but I am also a new user to ClubGwagen and a novice to trucks in general.

Despite these facts I'd like to profusely apologize in advance for my rather dumb question of mine here. But what is the part highlighted in red in this picture?

Is it a sort of post air filter or a type of nozzle?

Disclaimer: This isn't my truck. I do believe it's a 240GD from a youtube video.
People who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

blueg

Re: Quick but a terribly silly question. What is this piece in my picture?

Post#2 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Air filter service indicator.

Leitkreuz

Post#3 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:12 pm

blueg wrote:Air filter service indicator.

Thank you for the answer, mate.

Apparently my G-class only has a sort of metal brass in said location, no AFSI in sight. Should I address this?

Chris

Post#4 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm

No need unless you find yourself constantly driving in super dusty environments that can clog the air filter.

vadimivanovich

Post#5 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Some vehicles have the indicator, and some have a brass cap that covers the port. It's nice to have some feedback about your filter's condition, but it's no big deal to live without it.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Leitkreuz

Post#6 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 am

Chris wrote:No need unless you find yourself constantly driving in super dusty environments that can clog the air filter.

Thank you sir, and now I feel slightly embarrassed that you found this thread of mine. My first impression is probably down the toilet by now, haha!

Cheers mate, JP

Leitkreuz

Post#7 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 am

vadimivanovich wrote:Some vehicles have the indicator, and some have a brass cap that covers the port. It's nice to have some feedback about your filter's condition, but it's no big deal to live without it.

Thank you sir!

Always great hearing from you. I suppose it wouldn't hurt installing one in - but apart of me feels although that most AFSIs are made of plastic. I've a strange phobia against plastic, I feel like they're only good for disposable units. So it's probably for the best to leave the brass there instead and simply document what year I placed my last filter in to determine when to replace it.

mogwild

Post#8 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am

Lots of them deteriorate and stop working over time. Engine heat, clear plastic, I don't mind having one, but I don't miss not having one. :)
-trev

Leitkreuz

Post#9 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 am

mogwild wrote:Lots of them deteriorate and stop working over time. Engine heat, clear plastic, I don't mind having one, but I don't miss not having one. :)

^
EXACTLY this. Great comment, sir. haha! :lol:

vadimivanovich

Post#10 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:03 am

I've removed my service indicator and replaced it with an in-cabin inches-of-water gauge for an actual measurement of the suction pressure applied to the air filter under driving conditions. The only challenge now is to figure out what is a "good" or "bad" range. I have plenty of access to data, but the 606-turbo really creates high air demand under boost at high-RPM! It's fun to see all of the action at the gauge.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”