Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

drivers side mirror

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Gwagon55

drivers side mirror

Post#1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:05 am

My mirror glass and the backing plate came off the mount, can see where it had been silicone on. The hooks on the back plate are broke off. The round head that pivots is good, going to get a new mirror, is it hard to snap on, or is there any tricks to it? If there is a big danger of breaking something, might take it to dealer.

AlanMcR

Re: drivers side mirror

Post#2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am

If the mirror glass is good, just glue it back on. Frankly the glue is a better solution than the fragile factory hooks. A good tug will remove it again if needed and nothing gets broken.
...Alan

Gwagon55

Post#3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 am

What kind of glue would you use, the glass is good just the hooks broke off.

AlanMcR

Post#4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am

I used generic "silicone glue" in a tube. Clean the surfaces, apply the glue, tape the mirror into place with a sponge on the mirror face to give a bit of gentle holding pressure. I drive lots of washboard, haven't lost one yet.
...Alan

Gwagon55

Post#5 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks Alan, will go to Advance tomorrow, and get glue.

mogwild

Post#6 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am

Damn, that sponge trick is a great idea...I'll be using that for a few other projects.
-trev

Gwagon55

Post#7 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 am

I done mine today, used the silicone adhesive, Hope it holds

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”