Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Does this clutch kit fit the 250 GD?

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Leitkreuz

Re: Does this clutch kit fit the 250 GD?

Post#11 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:22 am

cal_w460 wrote:

@ cal_w460: WEWT, it's nice hearing from you sir! - And thank you ever so much for this information. From my 3 years with Mercedes parts I never realized that the 80 in part numbers indicated refurbished parts. I feel embarrassed for not knowing this earlier, but this is amazing to learn from you and appreciated. I honestly can't imagine this website without you and a few others. :mrgreen:
Those who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

cal_w460

Post#12 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 am

I'm pretty sure that this Sachs clutch friction plate for the 711.202 4-speed box fits the 711.11x gearboxes aswell. Same splines and diameter.

Or is this one for OM617 / OM616 only maybe?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

vadimivanovich

Post#13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Cal, this friction disc is for a T1 van & DOES fit for the 4 and 5-speed iron box applications. I've only tested this on 60x engines so far. One issue: the pedal weight is significantly lighter than a G-specific part. This could be an issue for high-HP applications.
"The way you think is the way you live"

cal_w460

Post#14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Thanks. This Sachs part number comes up for my w460 300GD with OM617 4-speed ironbox. But it also comes up for alot of T1 and T2 vans. Its cheaper at around 60 EUR.

Good info. But how can the friction disc affect the pedal weight. Thats normally determined by the force of the springs in the pressure plate?

vadimivanovich

Post#15 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 am

You might be right; my test-case was with a full T1 Sachs clutch set. One of the issues was the springs in the friction disc were too soft. Again, for low HP applications I'm sure it would work just fine. Much cheaper and more available. Thank you for posting the part numbers!

Leitkreuz

Post#16 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:48 am

cal_w460 wrote:

@ Cal_460: I'm totally with Vadim here; I also thank you for the recommendation. This clutch kit is seriously much more cost effective than my previous suggestions! Great catch for sure. Myself and many others thank you for throwing up this detail.

Since I'm bothering you with a notification I might as-well toss you an off-topic question. My bad in advance for this nooby question, but it was at the back of my head for the longest while now. What's your opinion about replacing freeze-plugs for the diesel G class? Should I replace mine whenever it's convenient, or would you recommend that I'd get to them asap for a repair.

vadimivanovich wrote:

@ Vadim: Hey, I know your posts were aimed at Cal but I wanted to also thank you for confirming Cal's part numbers. It makes for a great read for noobies like myself to learn from. Not to mention that; Apparently, there's a lot of folk out there who're finding this thread helpful. Small world, eh? :)
Those who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

cal_w460

Post#17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:44 am

vadimivanovich wrote:You might be right; my test-case was with a full T1 Sachs clutch set. One of the issues was the springs in the friction disc were too soft.

The function of the springs in the center of the friction disc is to balance out differences in rotating speed between the fly wheel and the gearbox input shaft. To remove vibrations and ease clutch engagement. They act towards a smaller friction disc inside the center of the clutch friction disc.

1) The spring force of the pressure plate determines the force wich is applied on the sintered pads towards the flywheel. Or actually between the fly wheel, sintered pads and the surface of the pressure plate.

2) The design and surface area of the sintered pads on the friction disc affects the amount of friction that is achieved too.

To me, these two parameters determines the over all grip force of the clutch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the stiffness of the springs in the center of the friction disc can cause clutch slipping. At all. :)

vadimivanovich

Post#18 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:44 am

That's right - at least as I understand it. But the springs in the friction disc being too soft can make the vibrations continue longer if they are too soft. Stiffer springs will cause less vibration but possibly more of a rough feel. I did not mean to suggst that the clutch could slip - only that these springs could be too weak to keep the vibes away.

offroad-world

Post#19 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am

W461.401 Wolf
Attachments
Wolf 3.JPG
Wolf 2.JPG
Wolf 1.JPG

offroad-world

Post#20 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:02 am

cal_w460 wrote:OEM Sachs friction plate can be bought from other sources than MB.
Sachs part number 1861970133 (A0092507703) price is 198 EUR incl. VAT

you misstyped the sachs part number ?

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”