Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Wiper linkage replacement

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
inkblotz

Wiper linkage replacement

Post#1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:25 am

So with all the rain we have had this winter my wiper linkage is on its last legs. I have noticed recently a clunking sound with ever wipe and the drivers side wiper arm when you shut it off now stops in a lower position on the windshield closer to the windshield gasket. I have "in stock" the entire wiper linkage set up.

Now I must don my yoga pants (a sight no one wants to see) to be able to manipulate the new linkage in possibly through the instrument cluster or glove box opening. Trying to avoid removing the entire dash.

Past experience/suggestions would be appreciated. 1990 463 300GD G300

Thanks
Mark
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 7.27.39 AM.png

Winston

Re: Wiper linkage replacement

Post#2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 am

Is the wiper motor secured tightly? Looseness in the motor mounting will present with clunking and allows for the arms to fall too far below their normal stop.
1990 250GD 461.401
2000 G500 463.241
2006 G500 463.249

inkblotz

Post#3 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 am

I'll check the easy things first before diving in.

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:42 am

On pre-MBUSA W463s and W460s I have had little trouble replacing these with the instrument cluster and glove box removed. First look for the source of the clunk though. I've seen massively worn pivot shafts that were silent & functional - just leaky.
"The way you think is the way you live"

DesertStar

Post#5 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 pm

You will be fine, you have fixed many things of which I thought were more difficult. The only problem with this job, is sometimes it is not the access to the wiper assembly, it is trying to get your hands to cooperate while in compromising positions.

inkblotz

Post#6 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks Mike

dcurbet

Post#7 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Lay a moving blanket on the hood to avoid dropping your ratchet (especially when doing this alone)
Deep 22 mm socket. Large vice grips or 22 mm wrench for the underside to hold nut in place.
Large flat screwdriver or long needle nose to pry off the ball pivot from linkages. Some kind of channel locks will help snap the Pivots back on. The long shaft in the between the sides stays in there since it’s a pain to take out.
Steering wheel off
Speedo out
Glovebox out

You may have to cycle the wipers on and off with the ignition key and stop it in the correct position to help your reach. A little tight but works out.

inkblotz

Post#8 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:40 pm

dcurbet wrote:Lay a moving blanket on the hood to avoid dropping your ratchet (especially when doing this alone)
Deep 22 mm socket. Large vice grips or 22 mm wrench for the underside to hold nut in place.
Large flat screwdriver or long needle nose to pry off the ball pivot from linkages. Some kind of channel locks will help snap the Pivots back on. The long shaft in the between the sides stays in there since it’s a pain to take out.
Steering wheel off
Speedo out
Glovebox out

You may have to cycle the wipers on and off with the ignition key and stop it in the correct position to help your reach. A little tight but works out.

Thanks for the insight.

dcurbet

Post#9 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Here s my photo write up from the 93 463

viewtopic.php?t=12712

inkblotz

Post#10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:36 am

dcurbet wrote:Here s my photo write up from the 93 463

viewtopic.php?t=12712

Great write-up thanks for the additional insight.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”