Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Recovery Gear

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
PeytonG

Recovery Gear

Post#1 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:49 am

I'm needing to purchase all new recovery gear, unfortunately. Someone broke into my disco 1 before I sold it and stole everything...even the damn first aid kit. When I refer to gear, it's the basic stuff I'd have in my car at all times in the wolf pack boxes.

I'll have a receiver shackle bracket that fits into the trailer hitch.

A couple of questions:

Under the skid plate of my 463, there's two factory rings. Is this strong enough to be used as a serious recovery point?

What is the preferred recovery strap setup for stock W463 (for the most part) (i.e factory bumpers no winch)

Preferred MaxTrax type traction boards - any cheaper or better alternatives to MaxTrax?

Thank you :D

speedkills

Re: Recovery Gear

Post#2 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 pm

I've tried the x-bulls, and even the plain old maxtrax and find they both have terrible traction. The only ones I have had luck with is the maxtrax extreme units, they are super spendy though. Plus they crack super easily at anything below 45F, I've cracked two so far.

Otiswesty

Post#3 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:16 pm

I would use a quick deflator and local rocks and sticks over carrying max tracks around.
The front tow loops are very sturdy, welded to frame and are designed for recovery of the G if needed. There is one on the back on the drivers side as well. If they are not rusty, there should be no problem yanking out the G with any of these.
461.213, 463.241

ClarkGriswold

Post#4 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:54 am

I have the ActionTrax which are essentially the same as Maxtrax. I needed a pair once in the past and didn't have them... haven't needed them since I bought them, go figure. I'm not sure how other brands or colors handle UV, but my black ones are starting to fade to a graphite tie dye look. They have some flex to them and I haven't stripped any teeth off of them (yet). If I were to buy another set, I'd likely go with the Tred Pros or Maxtrax Extremes since both have rubber teeth. The ActionTrax do have a variant with metal teeth, but only at the ends of the ramp. I wish someone made a set that used replaceable golf or track spikes across the entire board. Until then, these replacement spikes seem like a good idea once the teeth have stripped (or even before).

Since I am currently winch-less, I keep an ARB kinetic strap in my spare wheel storage along with some shackles and a tire plug kit. If I'm planning on hitting more difficult terrain or snow wheeling I bring my winch bag with snatch block, tree strap, and extension/tow strap since you never know how prepared someone else is with their gear.
I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose!
08 G500 in the PNW

speedkills

Post#5 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:37 pm

My maxtrax extremes have metal teeth, not rubber. Besides the cracking in cold weather they work great. They have an easy exchange for a new one when you break them, but I'd prefer they just not break so easily.

w123_sedan_guy

Post#6 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:22 am

I purchased a bunch of stuff from http://www.masterpull.com/ to out fit my truck when I first got it. Most of it is geared toward the winch but they have recovery straps and such.
- Kyle

speedkills

Post#7 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 am

I like masterpull as well. Another good source I have been using lately for gear is https://www.asroffroad.com/ as I like that when you purchase items you can have them give a kickback to various IW4DTA trainers, plus they have items from safe-xtract that are hard to find in other places.

mogwild

Post#8 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:17 pm

I bought these for my Unimog but they now live in my Gwagon. I use them for tree savers or pulling people out of the ditch. Hard to beat the price, they were/are brand new NOS Military surplus, and I've yanked a Unimog that was floorboard deep in the mud out with one, so I know they live up to the rating (ignore the shipping rate, I contacted the seller and he shipped them much cheaper, at least when I bought them 8 or so years ago)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292274218698
Screenshot_20210610-141339.jpg
-trev

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”