Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Wiring for trailer hitch

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Court

Re: Wiring for trailer hitch

Post#31 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:55 pm

Yes ok of course that will be definitive I will report back.

G212

Post#32 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:07 am

You can always get the Tekonsha modulite and wire it up to take signal from the rear light wiring and to battery. Done deal.
My DIY site: http://myw463.home.blog
My Spare Parts site: http://myw463.com

Court

Post#33 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:15 pm

So I did test for voltage after starting and turning on turn signals ..... I did get voltage reading whereas before turning on of course I got no signal from that side where all the wiring arrives.

I did think I would get a clear signal voltage but it was all over the place. 3.?? Up to 9.??? But nothing at locations where there should not be voltage signal.

So this surprised me. I was expecting a solid on off stable voltage. Anyway it was at least definitive on which side power is present when key on.

I was considering making my own connector with MB pins to fit in the blanks in my connector and cutting off the connector on the GWag harness and connecting it to the new connector. In this way I would create a dangling receptacle connector to click into the GWag one. Not sure if that is entirely clear explanation. I did find a ten pin one here for $13 and with wire another $9. and was about to do this when Karl came through with the other connector that would mate to their harness. I would just need to tap into my vehicle blanks.

The MB pins for the connector they use back there are $8 CDN EACH !!! I need 7 of them. Got one to try as I think I mentioned.

Anyone got a different source idea for these?

Now I am not sure if I should get Karl’s female connector or continue with my own solution which accomplishes same but might be slightly less neat.

Thanks for suggestion re Tekonsha but I will continue on this path for a awhile longer.

Otiswesty

Post#34 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm

Attachments
Wiring.jpg
461.213, 463.241

Court

Post#35 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 am

No I have not seen that!!

It seems that is what I could use. Still would need a mounting plate and adapter to 7 pins. The pins themselves are worth a quarter of that price.

Decisions decisions.

Court

Post#36 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:42 pm

So finally I am trying to bring this upgrade to a close.

Turns out the mating connector I need was a VW radio connector. I got the connector plus pig tails for $20 CDN. This was a pleasant surprise however the wire gauge is small (I don’t know the gauges ) as it is for a radio and the wires in Karl’s GEag Accessory harness are much larger I think they should be adequate for signals and brake lights. They are only slightly smaller than the wires In the vehicles connectors.

But I have stalled because I am not certain which colour of wire goes to the pins on my vehicle connector housing the feeds from the front of the vehicle.

Alan has earlier above identified the PIN numbers that are turn signals, brakes etc. although not sure if lin 9 is left or right signal.

What I think would help is if the wiring diagram on the wiring project would somehow identify the PIN numbers on the diagram ,,,

Right now because wire colours on harness are not same as in vehicle I am not certain which wire goes to which pin.

I really need to number the PIN numbers on the GWag Accessiry 7pin socket shown below.

image.jpg

Hope my tome above explains where I am at.

Court

Post#37 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 pm

Maybe some one could label the PIN numbers associated with each terminal on the GWag terminal diagram. I think that would be exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”