Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat

LED installation on W460

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
tiktaalik

Re: LED installation on W460

Post#11 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks. I've been running JW Speaker LED Headlights on my Defender and they're great.

Johnny Christensen

Post#12 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 pm

tiktaalik wrote: My primary reason for upgrading is that they are so much brighter. Driving through the dark woods of Oregon I could barely see how fast I was going or what gear I was in. Totally worth it if you ask me.

Low light in the speedometer can be caused by dirt / dust build-up in the metal housing that contains the speedometer mechanism. It's white on the inside to reflect the light. If you take it apart and clean it out, you will be surprised how well these old style instruments are lit. They are not unsafe if they are kept in good working order.

tiktaalik

Post#13 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Good suggestion but I am doubtful it will make much difference. I've been through this my Defender. Same VDO gauges, etc.

PNZWGN

Post#14 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:23 am

Regards,

S.P.R.

PNZWGN Mk II build thread: https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

tiktaalik

Post#15 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 am

That was my starting point but it is missing a few things. I'll publish the updated list with photos when I have installed them.

PNZWGN wrote:FYI... may help some: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7886&p=63660&hilit=LED#p63660

PNZWGN

Post#16 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:08 am

tiktaalik wrote:That was my starting point but it is missing a few things. I'll publish the updated list with photos when I have installed them.

PNZWGN wrote:FYI... may help some: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7886&p=63660&hilit=LED#p63660

What are you looking for? I have LED's for EVERY bulb on my truck. Some I reverted back to standard on as the LED did not suit. Suit as in aesthetic/personal taste... they all worked. There are photos of the finished product about halfway through my closet thread.
Regards,

S.P.R.

PNZWGN Mk II build thread: https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

pierre repairs

Post#17 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 am

I personally don't see LED's in the dash as it's too bright - got use in the navy to kind of black out any sources of light during the night as it creates a blur and kind of disturb me... It even drives the wife banana but since I am the only one driving the G - It's always dimmed down to minimum brightness :)
G300TD - W463.331 & G250 - W461.401 Wolf LL

Mcfly

Post#18 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 am

I run Truck lite LED headlights. Huge improvement and not overly expensive. I also did the full LED conversion on my 460. Again, huge improvement over stock and I felt is was worth it. With the dual battery setup there is virtually no worries on the battery draining from leaving any lights on. I only wish my switches were all the same brightness too.
They look like they are off in comparison.

Strokes for folks I guess on the brightness debate. I don't have the dimmer on my truck so I can't experiment.

tiktaalik

Post#19 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Any guess as to where the blinker/turn signal relay might be located? I thought perhaps next to fuse panel under driver dash but It's not there. Any ideas? Could it have been re-located?

grazza

Post#20 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm

tiktaalik wrote:Any guess as to where the blinker/turn signal relay might be located? I thought perhaps next to fuse panel under driver dash but It's not there. Any ideas? Could it have been re-located?

Turn on your hazard blinker and use your ears and fingers so find it. Turn down the Motorhead first. :D

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”