Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat

Would you say this truck is worth 29k?

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
bram_r

Re: Would you say this truck is worth 29k?

Post#21 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:47 am

offroad-world wrote:
pierre repairs wrote:Clearly 29k is far too much....

29K is not too much as most of the ones you showed are 1993 or 1994 and not possible to import to USA as they are not 25 years old . the other one must be older , i do not know if the german army has had any 1992 sanikoffer , i would say no , they are all from 1993 or newer , a 25 years old one is a unicorn .

mfg. guido .

Maybe they did some chassis swapping or other VIN changes.

This one is a Dutch Army 290GD as well: http://www.g-mercedes.com/inventory-for ... 90...8471/
Description says it's from 1984 which can not be correct.

As far as I know, the 290GD was introduced in 1993 in Dutch Army, 3000 vehicles (both swb and lwb).
In 1995 some more versions were introduced for special forces (72).
Maybe later some additionals vehicles were bought and introduced, but every Dutch Army G class before 1993 should require some investigation what has been done with the VIN.

gr. Bram

p.s. the hood from this G is probably from another vehicle. 301squadron never had these long versions in their inventory.
'experience is what you have, just after you needed it..'

dcurbet

Post#22 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 am

on the same topic - what would you say this is worth?
factory 4 x 4
Attachments
File Aug 01, 8 47 23 AM.jpeg

offroad-world

Post#23 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 am

bram_r wrote:Maybe they did some chassis swapping or other VIN changes.

This one is a Dutch Army 290GD as well: http://www.g-mercedes.com/inventory-for ... 90...8471/

this is a 1997 and not legal stateside .
there was no european army which have had a G´s in 1984 ...

mfg. guido .

reinhardtius

Post#24 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 am

nihil wrote:
Otiswesty wrote:
nihil wrote:Hey Hunter. For the right price, I could be persuaded to part with a lovely work-in-progress of a right hand drive `82 LWB. ;)

Ha ha, his old truck?

The very same!

He he he :)

bram_r

Post#25 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 am

offroad-world wrote:
bram_r wrote:Maybe they did some chassis swapping or other VIN changes.

this is a 1997 and not legal stateside .
there was no european army which have had a G´s in 1984 ...

mfg. guido .

Now I'm curious how you can tell it's a 1997 290GD and not a 1993 :)
'experience is what you have, just after you needed it..'

Fernando BR

Post#26 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Tought all Dane defense were 240GD and after that some 290GDT and 270CDI.
Like them with normal rear lights , a little light (200 Kg?) , but no hidraulic stering is bad.
Never listened about their hardtop body version before i saw it at Guido"s warehouse. Liked a lot.

reinhardtius

Post#27 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 am

Please forgive the duplicity of this post but I wanted to make sure that everyone knew about G Mercedes and Jean. Other members of this community have voiced their concern about this seller's professionalism, or lack thereof. I personally will not be pursuing a vehicle purchase with this seller.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8154&start=50

nihil

Post#28 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:48 am

Obviously I can't take an official board level stance on `ole Jean, but I will say it must suck to be stuck in the old habits/mentality of being the only game in town during a time where there are nearly as many people importing old G's as there are people buying them.

Hell, if I hit the Powerball tonight, I have glorious plans for a G (and other oddities that tickle my fancy) import/resto-mod shop. I'm not a regular lottery daydreamer, but $350mil is $350mil.
1982 Geländewagen 300GD LWB RHD

Johnny Christensen

Post#29 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Fernando BR wrote:Tought all Dane defense were 240GD and after that some 290GDT and 270CDI.
Like them with normal rear lights , a little light (200 Kg?) , but no hidraulic stering is bad.
Never listened about their hardtop body version before i saw it at Guido"s warehouse. Liked a lot.

GD240 was the backbone, by far the most common of the early G models in Danish defense service. In the same time period there was also a small number of GD300 and GE280.

Very few GD290 came in to replace vehicles taken out of service.
A few more GDT290 was added, some in camo, some in grey paint and civilian looking.

Then the G270 cdi came into service and soldiers that used to dislike the G for lack of power, was in for a surprise.
G280 cdi was a even faster vehicle, but also where the army learned about paying attention to the rated strength of the front springs. If you run it at 160 kph and slam on the brakes, the nose will dive and the vehicle pulls to the right.
That was discovered during the first safety inspection and resulted in a overreaction and pissing match between Army and Mercedes Benz. They grounded 184 G280 cdi vehicles for two years, stood still in storage while ancient GD240 was kept running with robbing parts from crashed and reserve vehicles.

After a lot of shouting, the situation was resolved by passing a special section of the vehicle laws, that now allow the affected vehicles to pull to the right when braking...

Now educated in the proper use of the Mercedes front spring chart and their rated strength, G300 cdi vehicles are pouring in. The older GD240, 300, 290 are now redundant and are finally released for sale in big numbers, cleaning out everything in stock.
All that the army intends to run is the modern engine G.

After some unfortunate incidents where armored Toyota Landcruiser front suspension proved too weak for the sector of Afghan terrain they patrolled, the G regained some respect in the army, performed perfectly when they where switched in to replace them. They are not dead yet.

Nissan Navara pickup with a fiberglass hardtop, has taken over most of the tasks of daily driving.

Fernando BR

Post#30 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Unbelievable.Thanks for share.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”