Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Pickup Beds Question

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Otiswesty

Re: Pickup Beds Question

Post#21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 am

The cab walls show up used, best to ask Guido or a European military G breaker

The gates off of the VW T3 Syncro truck come in 2 types and 2 sizes. Steel, aluminum, doka or single cab.
Attachments
SinkaSteelGates.jpg
SinkaAluGates.jpg
DokaSteelGates.jpg
DokaAluGates.jpg
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1995 G320

joef

Post#22 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

Good point, I should touch base with Guido about a wall. I looked at the single cab he has for sale, but I need to pick up about 4"+ so I'm not eating the steering wheel.

axel606

Post#23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

I use the bulkhead panels out of mb sprinter vans to make the wall or back panel .
I.just cut the cab down to length and offer up the sprinter panel and draw around the edge /cut the extra bit off and carefully weld it on all the way round -some panels are already glazed so you get a window thrown in.

TechMOGogy

Post#24 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Bingo!
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 94 350GDT - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

axel606

Post#25 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 am

I will try and find some pictures of the process .
The back panel will be horrendously expensive to buy as the 'traders' are well aware of the new price of such an item and there are various panels and parts that have to go.with the panel you have to buy also .
The military cabs are very short and anyone over 6ft finds the legroom a really big issue on anything other than a short journey .
Cutting a swb body off at a length you can live with and still leaving you with enough chassis length to make a usable pickup is the way ahead .
The bulkhead panels from mb are usually taken out of the vans by the dealer and thrown away -brand new !!!!!! I have at least 6 brand new panels tucked away all from the skip at an mb dealers some with windows fitted .
They were free to take away !
Try asking your local mb commercial dealers who deal with brand new sprinter vans what they do with the full bulkhead panels the vans are fitted with that have to be removed for adaptations to the van for the new owner , they usually throw them away , the dealer who helped me had atleast 20 !

joef

Post#26 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 am

I will contact my fellow at the dealership right away
thanks for the heads up

axel606

Post#27 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm

DSCN0238.jpg
DSCN0331.jpg
DSCN0246.jpg
P1000237.jpg

swb cab cut to give a nice amount of leg room to move the seats back far enough
offering up the sprinter van bulkhead panel
weld it on and prepare / paint source a nice window from a van breakers .

inkblotz

Post#28 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Incredibly resourceful Axel. Repurposing at it’s best.

Well done.
Mark

joef

Post#29 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:20 am

Axel606, that's great.
Can I ask, how long is the section from the back of the door to the end of the cabin?

axel606

Post#30 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:39 am

I cannot remember , the truck is long gone now back to its owner who had me build it for him .
You should be able to estimate by studying the pictures as you can see the white plastic blocks for the rubber side trim there are two visible and the third is just missing .
The window opening and the holes on the inside of the body are also visible to work from .
It was made so you could put the seats right back to the limit and tilt the seat backs a long way if you wanted to have a zzzz.
It's really up to you .

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”