Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Glove Box Fabrication

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
TechMOGogy

Re: Glove Box Fabrication

Post#11 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:15 pm

I have a guy that could fab one up for you but he does not have a G to test fit it.
He would need the original so he could make an exact copy and perhaps photos of specific mounting points or anything that would not transfer over if you sent him an entire original glove box and door.
PM me if interested and I will provide his contact details.
He is located in Texas and is a master metal fabricator
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

Suppatime

Post#12 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:41 pm

rpin wrote:I emailed Tuffy asking if they would consider making one since they do make them for other vehicles.

Their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Tuffy.

I will pass along the thought to our R&D Engineers. Right now, our new products slated to be designed and produced are booked up through the end of 2018. If/when anything were to be done with this it would not be until 2019 at the earliest. When evaluating, the team looks at several factors such as total number of vehicles still on the road for the class of part. After they determine the business potential for a new product, then they look at whether it is viable to manufacture the product within our production guidelines."

Thanks for coming back and posting this. I hope they realize that's a major weak area in the classic Gelandewagens... all the W460s and W461's alike. It would be amazing for a solid metal glove box. I'd feel safer actually storing things in it.
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

vadimivanovich

Post#13 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Okay okay... I will look further into it. Sheesh, if you guys knew how long I spent on this...

I'd like to try my hand at dimpling the inset for the lock. If successful, that would make a massive difference to the viability of reproduction. Steel might be a better candidate too... give me some time to experiment.
"The way you think is the way you live"

AlanMcR

Post#14 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 pm

For the inside part, would it be easier to use an existing box as a mold to lay up some fiberglass?
...Alan

rpin

Post#15 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:43 pm

FYI - I had Galpin Auto Sports here in LA quote me on making one. They have a complete machine shop and I believe would do a good job. Given the amount of time involved however, I was quoted about 3800 - Vadimivanovich, wasn't exaggerating about the time needed! Ouch. Perhaps if we can get a group order, that price could go down? What's a number you all would consider and I can go back to them - if there's enough interest. They could use my truck to make sure it fit perfectly. TechMOGogy - I'm sure your guy is great, but for this job, I think having the truck on hand is probably critical to the fit. However still might be an option, especially if it ends up being the only option!

blueg

Post#16 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 pm

An existing box can be strengthened with coats of fibre gel outside and painted inside then supported underneath with plumbers strap.
Then it will last a lifetime and support some weight.

vadimivanovich

Post#17 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Fiberglass is pretty convenient. Thermoplastic can be an option too. Both have the advantage that they would be less noisy than metal. For now I will be focusing on the door. If anyone wants to have a go at the inner box, let's coordinate!
"The way you think is the way you live"

mogwild

Post#18 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 am

Or the whole thing could be a drawer, slides out, nice deep sides to keep all the stuff in.
-trev

Suppatime

Post#19 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:55 pm

rpin wrote:FYI - I had Galpin Auto Sports here in LA quote me on making one. They have a complete machine shop and I believe would do a good job. Given the amount of time involved however, I was quoted about 3800 - Vadimivanovich, wasn't exaggerating about the time needed! Ouch. Perhaps if we can get a group order, that price could go down? What's a number you all would consider and I can go back to them - if there's enough interest. They could use my truck to make sure it fit perfectly. TechMOGogy - I'm sure your guy is great, but for this job, I think having the truck on hand is probably critical to the fit. However still might be an option, especially if it ends up being the only option!

First off... I've been waiting to see you on these boards! My G is that 2-piece deal over at Thor's... ready for paint as of last week. I helped him get your 606 running properly... man that thing is a beast! I can't wait to have my 606 in and running!

Second, damn... that is a lot for a glove box, but I'm sure if they were in the $300-400 range,you could sell hundreds of them worldwide... it has always been one of the major interior weak spots.

Third... we should meet up! I'm Drew.
Filmmaker, Musician, Car Nitwit
Hollywood, CA USA

1980 Mercedes 300GD SWB - OM606/5-speed "Puchy"
2003 Mercedes C32 AMG "Dolores"- FLOODED AND TOTALED
2015 Kia Soul - BOOOOOOOO

paulunm

Post#20 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:48 am

Our Russian member just posted that he has one for sale on Instagram.

https://instagram.com/p/BgQw7tJl_e5/

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”