Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Engine Swap ??

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Gwanabe

Re: Engine Swap ??

Post#61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm

May want to consider a small (40mm) body lift to enable the engine to sit a bit higher on the frame and give more clearance for the exhaust and front driveshaft.

blueg

Post#62 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 pm

How would this effect the short shaft? Would also require everything to be lengthened that connects body to chassis and drivetrain. Many changes.

scottvette1989

Post#63 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 pm

I haven't been in the shop to much lately. I have done a little work. A/C install is coming along. Heater hoses and control valve. Left side exhaust manifold is done. Out of the head up and back,around the steering shaft. Exiting over the frame rail under the steering shaft and out into the inner fender well. I wrapped it to help control the heat some. Now on to the Right side manifold. The radiator is mounted directly below the stock upper rad support. This requires the inline rad cap housing. power steering lines are mounted.
Attachments
IMG_20180811_162402130.jpg
IMG_20180820_191956956.jpg

scottvette1989

Post#64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:21 pm

blueg wrote:How would this effect the short shaft? Would also require everything to be lengthened that connects body to chassis and drivetrain. Many changes.

I haven't attacked the front shaft, yet.. All in good time..

blueg

Post#65 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 am

How will service and maintenance be for access on under hood components?

scottvette1989

Post#66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 am

blueg wrote:How would this effect the short shaft? Would also require everything to be lengthened that connects body to chassis and drivetrain. Many changes.

The mid shaft from the trans to transfer case is done using new parts I found on line, about $200. I posted a picture a while back. Shift linkage will have to be made to work the new trans with the orig shifter. Very few modifications really. The engine and trans opperate pretty independently from most of the orig truck. Body to chassis changes are close to nothing. Servicing won't be too bad, normal maint is just as any other, spin on oil filter. A/C compressor will require lifting the engine a few inches to get to the lower bolts.
Scott

blueg

Post#67 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am

scottvette1989 sorry for confusion. My question you quoted and answered was directed at Gwanabe's 40mm body raise solution to getting front shaft to front diff.
Thanks for answers regarding service and maintenance of engine in truck.
I wondered though about spark plug replacement, header gasket or header replacement but I imagine you made those beauties out of SS that would outlast the truck. I did see your spline/flange cardan input shaft for TC. Very nice work.

scottvette1989

Post#68 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:48 pm

I got out in the shop this weekend!!! More wiring than I ever imagined in this project. I have worked pretty hard to intergrate the Chevy electronics to work with the Mercedes switches so when sitting in the seat you won't tell what is under the hood. OK the big news,,,IT RUNS !! The A/c isn't finished but twist the key and it roars to life.
I still have to make the trans linkage, finish the A/C install, add an air cleaner, and finish up the drive shafts.
I am sure many more small things, but It will be on the road soon.
Attachments
IMG_20180903_200621842.jpg
IMG_20180903_200605211.jpg
IMG_20180902_140915688.jpg

blueg

Post#69 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Another G with 2 VIN numbers for parts. Looks real good.
Been trying to get answers from a guy in Australia who is credited with the first working LS powered G but he is not forthcoming.
Makes me wonder if he stopped at 2WD or doesn't want to share.
He took a fair chunk out of his oil pan but doesn't look enough for front prop shaft passage.

scottvette1989

Post#70 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

blueg wrote:Another G with 2 VIN numbers for parts. Looks real good.
Been trying to get answers from a guy in Australia who is credited with the first working LS powered G but he is not forthcoming.
Makes me wonder if he stopped at 2WD or doesn't want to share.
He took a fair chunk out of his oil pan but doesn't look enough for front prop shaft passage.

Might be more than two VINs. The engine and trans is from a 2002 Suburban. My engine oil pan is from a 2010 Camaro, as is the trans pan. The trans pan is the component that is most in the way of the shaft.
I see no interference with the eng pan. I will move on to the front shaft pretty soon and keep you updated.
Scott

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”