Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Recommendations for restoration

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
ninesix703

Recommendations for restoration

Post#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am

I have an 85 280GE Cabriolet auto that i've owned for 6 years. Daily drove it for a while. Its got rust in all the usual places (windshield, taillights, under driver seat) and needs a good bit of body and mechanical work.

Ive been quoted 50k for frame off restoration on the body, not mechanical work. I know i could just buy one thats already restored for less than that.

excluding the mechanicals, can anyone recommend a place to get this body back in sound structural condition without spending a fortune?

Chris

Re: Recommendations for restoration

Post#2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 am

Only cost effective solution I can think of is to send your G to a shop in Mexico or Poland where man hours cost a fraction of what they are in USA.
IG: #traildustrestoration

AlanMcR

Post#3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 am

Didn't MB sell complete bodies for small $ once upon a time? Or, is my memory failing me?
...Alan

vadimivanovich

Post#4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 am

Bottom line: it is a lot of difficult work. You can look for a body shop that is less afraid of rust repair work, but understand that most shops make their money on insurance work. This means their margins are high, and rust repair work is not really worth their time, or your money. There's no easy way around it. I have a shop in my area that does this kind of work. I waited 4 years to get my current project in their doors, and will probably spend ~$10K for the bare, sandblasted shell to be restored.

Good luck with the search.
"The way you think is the way you live"

AmatoBGSG

Post#5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am

Chris wrote:Only cost effective solution I can think of is to send your G to a shop in Mexico or Poland where man hours cost a fraction of what they are in USA.

Joking or being serious? I never though about getting body work done in MX (I'm 20' from the border). I wonder if anyone here has done so???
1980 300GD BGS

TechMOGogy

Post#6 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am

Where are you located in the world? That could help
Best to fill out your profile then you won't get shops in the wrong part of the world
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

PNZWGN

Post#7 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Bottom line: it is a lot of difficult work. You can look for a body shop that is less afraid of rust repair work, but understand that most shops make their money on insurance work. This means their margins are high, and rust repair work is not really worth their time, or your money. There's no easy way around it. I have a shop in my area that does this kind of work. I waited 4 years to get my current project in their doors, and will probably spend ~$10K for the bare, sandblasted shell to be restored.

Good luck with the search.

I just went through this a few years ago and $50K does not surprise me at all depending on the amount of work to be done. I did not have to spend that much but I spent a hell of a lot. (I didn't take my body off as it wasn't deemed necessary/worth it.) Most of these guys won't quote the work and will only work time and material, which in their defense is all that they can do because they just don't know. My guy told me that he would not have taken the project on had he known at the beginning what he did at the end... I on the other hand just try to block that part of my life out of my memory. Let us know where you are maybe someone can provide further help.
Parker (turbo/diesel)

1984 460.312 PNZWGN
2000 202.024 Ancient Benz
2011 463.261 (sold)
2017 205.049 SCHÖN
2019 CRF250F
2012 CRF110F

wherever I may roam...

@pnzwgn: https://www.instagram.com/pnzwgn/

ninesix703

Post#8 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Appreciate everyone getting back so quick!

Im currently in Northern Virginia but willing to send the car anywhere.

dcurbet

Post#9 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Hey neighbor! Can you post a pic of your truck? 280GE conv is quite rare

PNZWGN

Post#10 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 am

ninesix703 wrote:Appreciate everyone getting back so quick!

Im currently in Northern Virginia but willing to send the car anywhere.

I should have guessed that based on your handle. You're 3.5-4 hours away from me... more importantly my body guy. I could speak to him about taking on another G if you'd like. I need to go by there anyway and discuss with him some additional work I'm wanting him to do.

The good news is his shop is literally located right off the first Roanoke exit on I-81 South. I could help keep tabs on things and send pictures should you guys actually get together as I'm by this exit all the time for work. Just let me know... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605&hilit=closet&start=20
Parker (turbo/diesel)

1984 460.312 PNZWGN
2000 202.024 Ancient Benz
2011 463.261 (sold)
2017 205.049 SCHÖN
2019 CRF250F
2012 CRF110F

wherever I may roam...

@pnzwgn: https://www.instagram.com/pnzwgn/

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”