Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Transfer case rubber mounts

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
kurt

Transfer case rubber mounts

Post#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

I'm planning to change my TC rubber mounts, they are used.

My TC is VG080 750602 10 076094 (300GD from 1989). The rubber mounts currently mounted are the rubber style mounts, see next picture

Screenshot 2018-04-23 19.02.22.png

I ordered new mounts based on EPC. I ordered the mounts with number A460 280 24 86 (item 37, see next picture), because the other mounts are supposed to be mounted until ident number 008247. Are these the last digits of my VIN number, or is this number the 076094 stamped in the TC?

Screenshot 2018-04-23 19.13.07.png

The rubber mounts I received are different, see below

2018-04-23 17.43.09.jpg

So, I'm wondering now, did I order the wrong mounts?

And if they are correct, in which direction should I mount them. Anybody got experience with these mounts? I'm in the dark here, can't find anything concrete, except the following thread where they mounted it with the wider plastic part on the upper side. Not entirely convinced this is the right way, as the TC is hanging on a thin plastic edge (see blue circle in next picture). Also, the big washer is not installed on the upper side, and if it would be installed on top, it would not touch the frame mount, as the hole in the washer only lets through the bolt, so the TC would still be hanging on the thin plastic edge. :?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/austral ... t1510.html

Screenshot 2018-04-23 19.24.16.png

Many thanks, Kurt

vadimivanovich

Re: Transfer case rubber mounts

Post#2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am

I believe you received the 300GD type, and the rubber ones are non-diesel type. I have no idea why there's a difference.
"The way you think is the way you live"

kurt

Post#3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 am

vadimivanovich wrote:I believe you received the 300GD type, and the rubber ones are non-diesel type. I have no idea why there's a difference.

Thanks Vadim, that's good to hear!

Now I've to figure out in which direction to install them! They seem easier to install than the rubber types I think ;)

kurt

Post#4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Found this thread on benzworld.org, with install directions for the new style bushings. Looking at the bushings in front of me, it's still weird in my mind. The big washers are floating in the air, not touching the frame mounts and the upper left one in the drawing could slide out :? :?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class ... -help.html

30_1218512_420200491524PM.jpg

2018-04-23 17.43.09.jpg

Johnny Christensen

Post#5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 pm

The transfer case is held by the rubber body of the bushing itself. The washers with the rubber cushion, is only there to act as a bumpstop if you should have very violent vibrations shaking the transfer case. Going over washboard roads, could induce that.

In case of complete neglect it also prevents the transfercase from jumping out of your car, though I doubt that anyone sane would attempt to drive it that far.

kurt

Post#6 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Johnny Christensen wrote:The transfer case is held by the rubber body of the bushing itself. The washers with the rubber cushion, is only there to act as a bumpstop if you should have very violent vibrations shaking the transfer case. Going over washboard roads, could induce that.

In case of complete neglect it also prevents the transfercase from jumping out of your car, though I doubt that anyone sane would attempt to drive it that far.

Thanks for the info Johnny. Sounds logical. After all, the TC is not that heavy, and I guess the bushings are engineered to cope with the load.

kurt

Post#7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

So, I installed the "new style" TC mounts a while ago because I had some annoying vibrations making the TC shake like hell (front/rear shake) (in granny and 1st gear under load) , after my om606a/711.116 swap. After the new TC bushings were installed, the vibes have gotten worse :?

The mounting direction as depicted on the drawing below still makes me think the bushing circled in "yellow" should be installed the other way round.

It is now installed as in the drawing and it forces the TC down on this mount, because it is asymmetrical (on 1 side, the bushing sleeve sticks out far more than the other side). It's not much, but still. The old style rubber bushings are symmetrical, and with them installed, my TC would be in a slightly different position.

Anybody installed these new style of mounts/or thoughts about this?

Screenshot 2018-08-24 00.11.30.png

Here a recent build (the beautiful cabrio that was recently auctioned for a record price https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990- ... f-250gd-3/) on which the new style TC bushings are mounted. I think the yellow circled TC bushing is installed the other way round

Screenshot 2018-08-24 01.05.57.png

Screenshot 2018-08-24 01.10.03.png

More info of testing/actions I already did:
- rear axle is brand new
- rear propshaft is brand new (MB)
- flanges TC/transmission perfectly parallel;
- phasing propshafts done correctly;
- flanges have no wobble;
- A-bracket installed (neutral position), which reduces/masks the vibrations;
- can't feel lateral play in the TC/transmission flanges;
- front axle is normally not the cause because problem remains with front propshaft removed;

=> the center propshaft is the main suspect and will be replaced soon
=> but this yellow circled TC bushing might be part of the problem if I mounted it the wrong way???

Deebo

Post#8 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Very interesting post. Out of interest, where did you source the new rear axle? Directly from MB or somewhere else?

kurt

Post#9 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Deebo wrote:Very interesting post. Out of interest, where did you source the new rear axle? Directly from MB or somewhere else?

I found it on eBay in Germany - was pretty lucky, it was never mounted, no rust. Just perfect, with the correct gear ratio. Only things I changed were the brake/difflock lines to CuNiFer because I prefer this.

Chris

Post#10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 am

You need an extremely ridgedly attached transfer case ‘A’ brace @ transmission, may I see a photo of your attachment method?

I may be able to verify if it’s your issue or not.
IG: #traildustrestoration

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”