Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

tight steering

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
goat

Re: tight steering

Post#41 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:40 pm

What's a "marret"?
Tried Googling it, but i doubt it was in a small finance company.
G less
2008 Lexus GX470
2015 BMW X-5 35D

goat

Post#42 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Gwagon55 wrote:Going pull it off tomorrow, see if it is stuck. Will have to get or make a new gasket. Will let you know what I find.

Local Mercedes dealer had gaskets in 2 days from California and no shipping.
G less
2008 Lexus GX470
2015 BMW X-5 35D

Kashi123

Post#43 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi, sounds like you could,be stuck in 4 wheel drive?
If you raised both front wheels and they counter rotate the diff is not locked.

If you raise one wheel and it will not turn it indicates it is in 4 wd, try raising a front and rear wheel at the same time and if you can turn the front wheel a rear wheel will turn at the same time (if stuck in 4 wd)

Hope this might help

Br

Richard

Gwagon55

Post#44 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Kashi123 wrote:Hi, sounds like you could,be stuck in 4 wheel drive?
If you raised both front wheels and they counter rotate the diff is not locked.

If you raise one wheel and it will not turn it indicates it is in 4 wd, try raising a front and rear wheel at the same time and if you can turn the front wheel a rear wheel will turn at the same time (if stuck in 4 wd)

Hope this might help

Br

Richard
I didn't do a front wheel and a back wheel, but i raised one on the front and it would not turn, done it on both sides, and when i raised both one would turn one way and the other the reverse.

blueg

Post#45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:53 pm

goat. I missed a few letters it's marrette.
Wire nut used for insulating twisted ends on household wire.
Four wheel drive with lockers disengaged should not cause any steering difficulties. But not a great idea at speed or on dry surfaces. Sounds like whole system from transfer case back and forward to diffs could use a good check for connections and probably some cleaning and lube. Maybe hasn't been out of 2 wd in a decade. Ease her back in.

Gwagon55

Post#46 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am

I raised the front right and the left rear and when I turned one it turned the other the opposite way. in the yard on wet grass I engaged the transfer and the rear diff and the red lights came on. Could really tell they were in. When disengaged all lights went out. the front never engaged, that I could tell. with the rubber boots on the back tie rod ends gone could see rust in the joints. Tie rod should be here any day, will find out.

blueg

Post#47 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:39 pm

How is your steering with both front wheels off the ground?
I think you have moved away from initial tight steering problem into other areas of diff drive.
If you have found rot then I would suggest methodically going over whole truck a little at a time prioritizing safety and driveability then comfort.
For rusted and ceasing moving parts-- most times removal and a good cleaning then reassembly with new bushings and often bearings along with any crush washer involved will get things back to operable.
For steering, any binding in the back should only slow you down unless one rear is bound and producing extreme drag on one side.

Gwagon55

Post#48 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Right now trying to make sure the drag wasn't because the front axle was stuck in lock. While off the ground, checked to make sure there was no play in wheel bearings and king pins, all was solid.

blueg

Post#49 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 pm

If your front diff has been stuck in locked position this would definitely cause alarming steering trouble and severe damage to your diff and T-case if driven long or fast and hard enough.
With front locked your wheels would literally be skidding around corners.
Lets hope you caught this in time.

Gwagon55

Post#50 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:17 pm

I don't think it has been locked, It is not that harsh of steering. And if you raise a front tire and a rear on opposite side, they will turn, if the front axle was locked it still wouldn't turn, would it. Think I am looking in the wrong place. blueg, thanks for the help.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”