Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Best W460 LWB roof rack

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
difflock

Re: Best W460 LWB roof rack

Post#11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Bobmog wrote:I like my Frontrunner as well.

Nice. What size is that? Any side/front shots?

-Denis

Bobmog

Post#12 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:49 am

Denis,
Here are some other shots. I have had it about 10 years or so, it is the first generation which is all one piece as opposed to the current offering which I believe is modular and I think is better. It also ships easier (cheaper). I will measure it and let you know the size. I do like the fit. The thing sticking down underneath is the wind deflector. I have also had it on my G320 but with the sunroof I don't use the rack on the 320 very often.
Bob
Attachments
Black wheel 5.jpg
DSC00628.JPG
093.JPG

hummermaniac88

Post#13 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:37 am

I have owned the FR for a while due to popularity on the internet. Having been a a few trips here is what I have noticed:

Pro:

- light weight
- vast array of accessories
- good support
- good resale value
- excellent build
- availability of spare parts

Con:

- noisy
- the wind deflector prohibits me to use my sunroof as I have hurricane winds coming in the cabin and bringing in the creepy crawlies (had so many bees enter)

Basically all is good except for the width design. The rhino rack is longitudinal thus has less wind noise as per the internet.

autonovice

Post#14 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am

I have 2 G Wagen Accessories Baja Racks. Light ... I can put up the whole thing myself. No wind noise. Low profile ... good for parking garages ... so low that I want to sell one of them and replace it w/ 3 RhinoRack bars. This should give me enough space between the roof and the bars to allow quick secure/lock on/off of my Autohome camptop. The no lip rack allows me and myself to slide on/off the Autohome camptop from the roof rack to my pallet rack and easier transports of home projects like mattress & ikea items.

difflock

Post#15 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 am

Bobmog wrote:Denis,
Here are some other shots. I have had it about 10 years or so, it is the first generation which is all one piece as opposed to the current offering which I believe is modular and I think is better. It also ships easier (cheaper). I will measure it and let you know the size. I do like the fit. The thing sticking down underneath is the wind deflector. I have also had it on my G320 but with the sunroof I don't use the rack on the 320 very often.
Bob

Thanks. What size is that rack? I've seen a couple of sizes online. Assume that is the biggest that will fit?

Otiswesty

Post#16 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 am

You could pair up these two racks for a really nice set up

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12255

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9725
461.213, 463.241

Crank

Post#17 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 pm

G Nome wrote:Crank,

I took these details of the Rhino Rack for you. Not sure what you need though. Let me know if you want something else. Happy to take whatever you or someone else needs.

Hope it helps.

Kent

You are the man. Thank you Kent!
-Crank

alaskagwagen

Post#18 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 am

I agree with Autonovie- the no lip design is crucial if you use an Autohome style RTT that has flip up latches. On some racks - with detachable legs you can flip the whole rack over over to achieve this.

Bobmog

Post#19 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 am

Not sure about the later generations of Frontrunner, but on the one piece first generation, the platform has a lip on one side and flat on the other and is reversible. So that you can have the side with the lip on top or on the bottom.

Winston

Post#20 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Dragging this topic back up.

Bobmog wrote:So that you can have the side with the lip on top or on the bottom.

I was wondering about this as I’ve seen images of the rack where the deck (the top plane of the rack) appears to be flat, and other images where the deck appears to have ~0.75” lip around the perimeter.

Can someone confirm that the top of the front runner can be positioned so that the top plane of the rack is perfectly flat?

@Gnome — are the mounting feet of the Rhino Rack made of plastic? Have any problems with them?
IG @oldironmash

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”