Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Court

Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Post#1 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:49 pm

The 19mm bolts holding my caliper on my 2000 300GDT are extremely tight and so far refuse to budge.

They are only accessible with a box end wrench which I have tried to extend another wrench but so far nothing budging.

I have tried a bit of heat but am a bit concerned to not over heat things although it must get fairly hot there during extended braking I assume.

So far I have used mild brute force only and might try to get a very snug fitting box end. Mine is a Home Depot Husky and I think the fit could be tighter.

If anyone one has a trick to this I would appreciate it. I checked to see if the rotor would loosen and it did very easily. So maybe I am not being bold enough but there is scant room to get a big lever on uppermost bolt.

I have used some WD40 since do not have any other penetrating style oil at hand, maybe eventually this will assist.

Thanks in advance.

pierre repairs

Re: Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Post#2 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Court encountered the same with my 98 LWB
I used impact wrench and long lever
G300TD - W463.331 & G250 - W461.401 Wolf LL

Court

Post#3 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi Pierre

Cannot use impact wrench because sockets have not enough clearance. The bottom bolt almost has enough. There might have been a special skinny omg docket for it I suppose. However the upper bolt can only be by hand wrench.

If I can get the bottom one loose I think the top can be loosen by moving the caliper ever so slightly.

Did you use any heat??

I need to get a good wrench extender.

Court

Post#4 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:43 pm

Long socket that is supposed to say.

autonovice

Post#5 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Court, I have 19mm 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar. I use a pipe to get more leverage. I can stop by your place tomorrow with the tool along w/ the rear mud flaps if you want. I ll be spending time at my bat cave tomorrow morning.

goat

Post#6 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Grind the outside of the socket a bit and use an extension so you can get the socket square on the bolt. That's what I had to do.
1984 W460 280GE Cabrio

Court

Post#7 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi Minh,

Ok I am open to that Minh, Let me know your best time.

cal_w460

Post#8 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:06 pm

You can take a normal 19mm socket and cut down the length of it with an angle grinder. To get a really "shallow" / short socket. Then it will fit the lower caliper bolt fine. Add an extension and use impact wrench or long bar. This works great on a w460.
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

Court

Post#9 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Ok thanks everyone. Would you use a 6 or 12 point socket? I am thinking a high quality sic point would less likely lead to rounding.

gullywagen

Post#10 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:35 pm

I did exactly what Cal describes with the socket. Did the trick for me. The six point will have more contact with the bolt. I used a length of pipe over my socket wrench to add leverage
1991 GD290 cab chassis

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”