Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
DesertStar

Re: Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Post#101 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 pm

AlanMcR wrote:
Court wrote:Hi Alan, The VIN turns up a solid one and that is also what it has. The MB parts guy initially thought as you did but not according to the VIN it is to be solid. So that seems to be that.

MB stopped using the solid in 1992, maybe it was 1994. In any case either the year or the VIN is wrong.

I guess I never asked. What is the reason for removing it? That rotor looks fine. Is it warped?

I assume the vented rotors are across all model lines as of 6/94 ? Here is info from MB service book.

Also, do the vented rotors use different caliper than the non-vented ?
Attachments
4A3DE022-D550-4BBD-A0FF-7112E7D890F7.jpeg
92C6BE36-F157-41E7-B2CE-5994FB1182EC.jpeg

Court

Post#102 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Well this is interesting. I am not sure what to think about all of this. It does not seem to be consistent that ALL G’s got vented rotors after 94.

My VIN definitely gives up a May 2000 build and the part number search by MB Vancouver results in solid rotors. I would expect calipers would be different from solid vs vented. More space to allow for thicker over all rotor when vented.

DesertStar

Post#103 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 am

Court wrote:Well this is interesting. I am not sure what to think about all of this. It does not seem to be consistent that ALL G’s got vented rotors after 94.

My VIN definitely gives up a May 2000 build and the part number search by MB Vancouver results in solid rotors. I would expect calipers would be different from solid vs vented. More space to allow for thicker over all rotor when vented.

I just looked in EPC for chassis code 463.331, which I think is yours and it DOES show non-vented rotor used for front axle assemblies D730392 and D730397 which looks like was fitted and maybe is what you have. EPC also showed D730394 and D730395 front axle assemblies also fitted to the 463.331 chassis with vented rotors. There seems to be 4 front axle configurations for your particular model. Interesting.

If you have your datacard or "Mogwild Vin Printout" that would show what front axle configuration you have.

I am curious as to what are the differences in front axle assemblies and why so many available for the 463.331 chassis. Maybe different country requirements ?

AlanMcR

Post#104 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:35 am

My W463.331 has the 730395 front axle with vented rotor.
In my (admittedly pirated) copy of the EPC, the only axles offered are 730.395 and 730.397. I'm not even sure what the differences are, since they have the same ratio and the parts aren't called out separately.
https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/suv/ ... 31/va/0/0/

Note that the drawing shows a solid rotor, but if you look up the part number it is actually a vented rotor.

My guess is that someone mistakenly put a solid rotor on your G. They are considerably thinner than the vented disks. The mechanic measured it's thickness and rightly determined that it is far too narrow for the allowable thickness for the vented disk that is supposed to be there. It was too thin when it was installed.
...Alan

Court

Post#105 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks guys this is interesting. Maybe if they were to thin to start with MB will fix it!! :)) ha wishful thinking.

I will find the axle numbers and compare. In the mean time I will proceed to try to loosen that top bolt. I do not have a six point box end for it and was strategizing getting a socket and extension in there by removing the bracket holding the hose to rigid line so as to not have to disrupt hydraulics. But this now looks like more work.

I am somewhat apprehensive about opening the hydraulics. Will take Mercano’s advice on wrench type for the hydraulic line.

Was even thinking I would just get a 19mm striking wrench for the tough bolt.

Would you guys replaced the M19 bolts? They are quite expensive I think.

Mercano

Post#106 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Court, post a picture of the front of the caliper, we can tell if it's meant for vented discs. The only difference is the vented caliper has a spacer in it, will see it in a picture. You should replace the bolts, they aren't expensive. If you get a decent long 19mm ring spanner you'll get that top caliper bolt, needs to be heavy and quality though. Or see picture, but 19mm.
Attachments
stahlwille-58224019-19mm-ring-insert-tool-14-x-18.jpg

DesertStar

Post#107 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:36 pm

AlanMcR wrote:My W463.331 has the 730395 front axle with vented rotor.
In my (admittedly pirated) copy of the EPC, the only axles offered are 730.395 and 730.397. I'm not even sure what the differences are, since they have the same ratio and the parts aren't called out separately.
https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/suv/ ... 31/va/0/0/

Note that the drawing shows a solid rotor, but if you look up the part number it is actually a vented rotor.

My guess is that someone mistakenly put a solid rotor on your G. They are considerably thinner than the vented disks. The mechanic measured it's thickness and rightly determined that it is far too narrow for the allowable thickness for the vented disk that is supposed to be there. It was too thin when it was installed.

I was just going from info when pulling generic EPC info for 463331...got prompt to select a particular axle.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 3.34.28 PM.png

Court

Post#108 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm

As per Mercano’s suggestion I took a photo of the calipers.

9BA6A736-AEF1-4BBA-803A-A6F910B0F944.jpeg
4D999740-3B77-40A2-82AD-A7169925E3C8.jpeg

Hard to see how deep the lip is on the rotor. It does not look like there is a spacer to widen the caliper grip for vented rotor. Not sure if this is definitive or not. You will note the pads are still in place but loose.

AlanMcR

Post#109 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Never seen this "spacer". Not sure what was referenced. In any case it is clear from the picture that the the pistons are pushed way out trying to reach the unvented disk. This is a vented disk caliper. You are very this did not result in a catastrophic brake failure.
...Alan

Court

Post#110 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi Alan,

I pushed the pistons way back to get pads out which I am not sure is obvious. When I opened them up they were tight. I will confer with MB and see what they say. At least I have not got the solid ones installed. Thank you for making this observation.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”