Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
AlanMcR

Re: Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Post#121 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Find the part number on your caliper to be sure.
...Alan

Court

Post#122 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi Vadim,

I have them all loose now. The top ones did not have locktite on them and once I relocated the brake wear sensors receptacle that was in the way of a socket plus extension wrench and with the wheels cranked for access the top came easily with a 2’ breaker bar to help. The bottom ones were very reluctant to come out though. And even now with cleaning up and some lube they are very tight.

Court

Post#123 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Just for interest here are the axle plates on the vehicle.

Front one has the smudge of blue locktite visible.

Not sure you can read those numbers or not.

75CE936F-7CEE-4641-B1C7-15472A3CC90C.jpeg
3B21A69F-2840-4F84-ADDA-E58A23650687.jpeg

vadimivanovich

Post#124 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

4.857:1 axles

On the calipers, we're talking about the two bolts holding the caliper to the steering knuckle, right? There are only two, and one is a larger diameter than the other. Stiff is fine as long as the threads are in good condition.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Court

Post#125 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi Vadim,

Two bolts holding calipers to the knuckle. Both are 19mm but seem to be different lengths I think. I did not compare. Now figuring out procedure to disconnect rigid line from calipers to remove them for like two minutes to re&re the rotors. I sure wish one rigid line was flexible then it would be fast and no hydraulic interruption.

DesertStar

Post#126 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:17 pm

General question:
Does the bleeder nipple here (in attached photo) signify vented vs non-vented caliper ? I notice Courts does not have one...and the one from my G320 (below) does.
Attachments
IMG_1600.JPG

Mercano

Post#127 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:31 pm

That bleeder doesn't indicate vented or non vented, ATE or Perrot must have decided it wasn't necessary at some point, like the inside half where there's just one bleeder at the top. What determines a vented caliper is the spacer, otherwise they're the same.

Court the 2 bolts holding the calipers on have 19mm heads but the size of the bolts are M16x1.5 bottom and M14x1.5 at the top, the lengths are the same. The bottom is usually tight because it's a machined fit in the caliper hole, ie 16mm where the shank of the bolt is a true 16mm. Top one has full threaded shank, and is not pre loctited when new, only bottom one.

AlanMcR

Post#128 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 am

I'd like to see a picture of this spacer. I have the vented disks and there is no evidence of a spacer.
...Alan

Mercano

Post#129 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 am

Did you see the picture I posted?

AlanMcR

Post#130 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 am

Sure enough. Not in evidence on mine. Maybe the spacer was integrated into the casting at some point.
...Alan

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”