Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Court

Re: Disc brake caliper bolts extremely tight!!!

Post#91 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Alan, The VIN turns up a solid one and that is also what it has. The MB parts guy initially thought as you did but not according to the VIN it is to be solid. So that seems to be that.

Mercano

Post#92 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Those ABS sensors can be seized in the housing, so unless you really have to remove it (which you don’t for this job), leave it alone. Rather than remove the two king pin bolts, which will be very tight, just remove the steel caliper pipe, then the caliper will come right off and you can set it aside. You’ll need to clamp the brake hose (carefully) or preferably plug the end of it once the pipe is off. You need a 17mm open end to hold the hose while you undo the pipe with an 11mm flare nut wrench. Don’t use a normal 11mm open end as you’ll almost certainly round the flare nut. You can then pull the hose retaining clip up and off releasing the hose so that the steel pipe is free. You will need to bleed the caliper once it’s back on.
The caliper bolts are pre coated with loctite when new.

Court

Post#93 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks americano,

If I can loosen that top caliper bolt without removing the king pin bolts that are in the way of using a socket and bar I will follow your suggestion. I was hoping not to have to bleed by keeping it all intact.

So would you advise putting loctite on again?

Court

Post#94 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Spell check did it again. My deepest apologies.

Mercano. Not Americano!!!! Dammm

Mercano

Post#95 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:46 pm

With the hose out of the way, there’s no problem getting that top caliper bolt out. Strictly speaking, and in line with MB, the caliper bolts require renewal when reinstalling the caliper. If you don’t have them then yes, clean and reapply loctite.

Mercano

Post#96 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:38 am

Court looking at your photos and reading again I think you mean you’re having trouble accessing the top caliper bolt due to the abs/pad wear wiring getting in the way? You can just remove that, there’s one M6 bolt holding it to the steel holder bolted to king pin. If you really want to remove that steel holder, you need to unclip the brake hose as it’s in the way of one of the king pin bolts.

Mercano

Post#97 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:41 am

Or the correct tool would solve your difficulties.

AlanMcR

Post#98 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

Court wrote:Hi Alan, The VIN turns up a solid one and that is also what it has. The MB parts guy initially thought as you did but not according to the VIN it is to be solid. So that seems to be that.

MB stopped using the solid in 1992, maybe it was 1994. In any case either the year or the VIN is wrong.

I guess I never asked. What is the reason for removing it? That rotor looks fine. Is it warped?
...Alan

Court

Post#99 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Alan,

Well the VIN has it as a May 2000 build. And the data card and the vehicle seem to coincide. Meaning what data card says it should have it has. Except as you point out it does not have vented rotors.

The garage doing the inspection says they need to be replaced to pass inspection. I have not measured their thickness but there is a reasonable lip around the perimeter.

They are smooth though and I was surprised and disappointed of course to get the verdict. I should measure to see what they are.

Does anyone have any specs on what max wear should be?

You do have me wondering about vented vs non vented now wrt the VIN.

Court

Post#100 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Mercano,

Ok so to review I can remove the M6 bolt and pull that wire out of the way.

As I am not there at present I have been looking at my photos maybe I can turn the assembly and create more access. It seems I need to get a socket in there to get enough leverage on the bolt.

I will look into bolt replacements. Following from Alan’s comments I am feeling a bit concerned re the VIN apparent discrepancy and if I needed the do this in the first place! The pads are not all that worn.

Aside from the tight bolt my objective was as I mentioned previously to re & re the rotor without undoing the hydraulics.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”