Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

► Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
AlanMcR

Re: ► Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Post#41 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:07 am

OM60x serpentine belt failures are due to a failed alternator one-way clutch. With a working clutch the belt is good for 100k+ miles. Actually I've never seen evidence of wear with the exception of a failed clutch. A seized clutch will burn up the belt in a day. That is with a larger 115A alternator. The smaller alternator doesn't torque the belt as hard. The wear only occurs at idle though, so you can nurse the engine home.
...Alan

blueg

Post#42 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:50 am

A/C clutch or seized tensioner bearing will take them out too.
Like all the metals science has found ways to get all the materials to a point where it lasts as long as is desired.
Rubber now has more carbon content to prevent ignition when overheated but the strength and supple nature of rubber is depleted so grip for tires and belts is less.
Sealing capacities for gaskets and O rings is reduced and failure occurs more from duration of use rather than wear on the product.
Torque values have not been adjusted for these changed materials and leaks are harder to staunch.

Leitkreuz

Post#43 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:21 pm

All of this talk about possible serpentine belts has me quirkin' a brow.

Did I purchase all of the required belts to prevent a belt problem for my truck? [The box's contents are on display as-well / the box is empty]

And if anyone has recommendations for a 12 volt alternator for a 250 GD I'm all ears. What I currently have is a 12 volt but it's only 55 amps. And I plan to add an dual setup of 12" SPAAL 39 AMP fans [Calculations rounded up. And it's 39A per]. The fan's aren't necessary, but I feel like they'd come in handy if the need arises.
Those who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

AlanMcR

Post#44 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Grab the alternator pulley and give it a vicious twist left and right. It should lock up when twisted to the right and slip when twisted to the left. Any noises:
https://www.newparts.com/product/ina-al ... -150-00-60

As far as the fan goes, I'm very happy with the E300 version of the fan system. I had an electric system that performed great. Then one day crawling up a ridge in the White Mountains, the heat got to the main relay and it melted down. Unfortunately, I was preoccupied with a very rocky trail and the engine boiled over violently.
Here is the E300 setup. It pulls enough air to very noticeably slow the engine down.
A6052000820 72mm water pump, just in case you don't already have that.
A6032050110 Smaller diameter water pump pulley
A6062000123 E300 11 blade fan (not the hub)
A6062000122 E300 fan hub (thermostatic) (multiple vendors, Sachs seems to be the best)
...Alan

Leitkreuz

Post#45 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:36 pm

AlanMcR wrote:

Wow, now those are some delicious tips!

Thank you my fine ass gentleman. And sorry for this rather late reply, I got bombarded by messages on my Gmail account from other members of these forums, asking me questions varied from my unimog project and specifics for soldering. I know that I've the smaller diameter water pump pulley [Brand new to boot from Mercedes Benz] and a FEBI bilstein fan clutch. But I'll have to check the new waterpump's part number with your suggested one. I only know that my waterpump is MAHLE branded.

I've a question about the 11 blade fan though. Mine apparently has 11 blades but it's made out of metal instead of plastic. Would you reconmend me getting a plastic one ? I'm not sure if there are any benefits for buying plastic over the metal variant.
Those who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

AlanMcR

Post#46 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:27 am

I've never seen the metal version of the fan, so I can't really judge. I'm a bit leery of metal blades. Plastic blades disintegrate relatively harmlessly if something goes wrong. The metal blades are likely to wreak quite a bit of havoc.
...Alan

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”