Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

► Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
blueg

Re: ► Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Post#11 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Removing the whole dash served you a lot more purpose than just servicing HVAC.
Either way is a lot of work and opportunity for many plastic parts breakage.
I will follow same route as JP since I don't want to do much other than replace the blower motor for now.

Leitkreuz

Post#12 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:51 pm

cal_w460 wrote:

@ Cal,

Always great hearting from you. I think I've caught your same suggestion in a past thread called “ w460 Heater Rebuild “. I certainty wished that the manual mentioned taking the whole dash out as I had a nightmare trying to wiggle mine out.

I've to ask, but is there anychance that you know the part number of this metallic clip?

blueg wrote:

@ BlueG,

Thanks to the both of you and Cal I managed to take my heaterbox out of my G klasse.

Those brass clips that hold the blower onto the assembly are currently getting a caot of lanolin as-well. I'm curious though. Should I add a dab of liquid marine electrical 'tape' on the resistor's prongs to keep them from wiggiling out?
People who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

cal_w460

Post#13 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Looking good!

Will see if I can find the part number for that clip. I believe that its part of that heater valve though. Could you send me your VIN in a PM please?

I actually managed to get the heaterbox out without removing the part attached to the firewall and without taking the whole dash out. But I loosened the top half of the dash a bit.

When I got to the wiper shafts, wich should be checked on all w460 if not replaced recently. I took the whole dash out. And realised that I should have done so much earlier. ;) At least the top half.

There is normally alot of dirt / dust behind there that can be nice to clean out aswell.
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

Leitkreuz

Post#14 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm

cal_w460 wrote:

“Looking good!

Will see if I can find the part number for that clip. I believe that its part of that heater valve though. Could you send me your VIN in a PM please?”

► Thanks man.

And will do, I'll send you my VIN soon. I also had to correct my question; I meant to ask about the lower clip that holds the cable in place, and I'll give you a updated visual on that with my message.

“I actually managed to get the heaterbox out without removing the part attached to the firewall and without taking the whole dash out. But I loosened the top half of the dash a bit.”

► I'm incredibly envious that you managed todo that. I only did as the manual directed me. Although if I followed through with your advice then I didn't have to disturb my silicone seal. Cest la vie; Karma gets to me anytime I want todo it the oem way, lol. But for my first time of removing the heaterbox I do not regret what I did. Even if it caused me a crazy amount of headache. Long story short, my OCDS won't allow me to check every single inch of my G wagon to see if everything is 'there'. In this case I've the opportunity to make a fresh silicone seal, while giving me the placebo affect of knowing that there's a proper seal there. But I'll defiantly try your route next time ;)

“ When I got to the wiper shafts, wich should be checked on all w460 if not replaced recently. I took the whole dash out. And realised that I should have done so much earlier. ;) At least the top half.”

► And what do you mean about those wiper shafts? Half my dash is out. I might as-well tackle that as-well. I may not have any issues with my wiper blades or water, but I figured to keep my truck in tip-top shape. See previous reply on my ocds, haha !

“ There is normally alot of dirt / dust behind there that can be nice to clean out aswell “

► Speaking of which, but I was crazy surprised to see how dirty the heaterbox was in itself. I even had to wash the damn thing. I'll do the same soon enough to my truck. I'm sure my woman would approve of that.

cal_w460

Post#15 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm

There is nothing wrong taking the section off the firewall. Just a bit of work tackling that old silicone bead without cracking the plastic box. Then you need to seal it up nicely because alot of rain water flows down into it from the fresh air intake. Make sure the rubber drainage part on the bottom is attached water tight aswell. Just a bit more work I think doing this part too. Anyway...

Off topic:

The wiper shafts are removed by:
- Remove 13mm (?) nuts holding the wiper arms
- Pry the wiper arms off or use a small puller
- Disconnect the wiper linkage from the wiper shafts by prying them off carefully. Might use some penetrating oil on them before.
- Loosen the large nut holding the shaft from inside the G / under the dash

Take them out. Check for play. Disassemble them (small c-clip seen on the picture below locking the internal part of shaft). Clean all parts up. Then lubricate the shafts internally with lots of marine propeller axle grease, CRC Superhaftet or similar water resistant stuff.

Might buy a new seal kit and plastic external cap for the part going through the firewall. That plastic cup is really critical to increase the lifespan of the shafts and prevent water ingress.

When they are mounted again through the firewall, then add a portion of sticky grease under that black plastic cup. This will prevent water getting into the shafts aswell.

Be aware that the shafts them selves are NLA for w460.
The whole linkage is available with two shafts, at a pretty steep price for what it is. If there isn't too much play in them you might get away lubricating them up as described above. If lots of play or completely rusted I would replace them. A bit of PITA doing this work with the dash still mounted.

Everything pictured here:
image.jpeg
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

Leitkreuz

Post#16 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 pm

cal_w460 wrote:

Cheers man.

And if you can give me the part number of those plastic clips. I totally know two of mine on my truck are shot / broken. One of which are on one of the front windshield wipers for sure. For the cleanup job I'm going to use BlueG's suggestion of marine jelly. Ever since he mentioned MJ to me I've been hooked. Amazing tip from that man for sure. I also found that playing "Slave To The Rhythm" while I'm applying jelly to my tools and truck parts helps a lot with the jelly's potency. :)

For the cleanup job ill use my lanolin. A great pair with Blueg's advice of MJ.

I also realize that some w460 wper parts are NLA. I bought some spares from kafkaon, who was also a big help. I intend to get that backup set professionally refurbrished for my own sanity. The placebo affect of knowing that I've a backup set will allow me to tackle my own set.

blueg

Post#17 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:19 am

JP.
Curious how you made out.

Leitkreuz

Post#18 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:18 am

blueg wrote:JP.
Curious how you made out.

Hey man,

I'm going great actually! - thank you for your tips. Someone else asked how I tackled the brown grounding wire as they have the same type of European BEHR heater-box. So I'm currently making photos of all the equipment i used and a rather sketchy "step by step" process that I've personally decided to use.

I also took your advice onto acquiring some connectors. But instead of them I've decided for terminal connectors instead as it'll fit the 'theme' of the same type of connectors used to plug the blower motor to the assembly.

Photos to come soon™ !

offroad-world

Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Post#19 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am

Attachments
CIMG3307.JPG
CIMG3308.JPG
CIMG3309.JPG
CIMG3310.JPG
CIMG3311.JPG

offroad-world