Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

► Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
blueg

Re: ► Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Post#31 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Soldering is only sure way for positive connection, retard corrosion and keep from doing same connections over.
Crimp only has intruded into plumbing technologies and that's not gone well either.
Marine connectors are tinned in preparation for soldering.

Leitkreuz

Post#32 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:34 pm

blueg wrote:This was pre-Loctite era safety.
I'd still choose a mechanical locking over a liquid for something so critical.

@ BlueG: That'll explain why my 250 GD has a weird brackets coming off the engine.

I was told that the bracket off the dampener bracket in particular was made because loctite wasn't invented back then. You either taught me that or another mate of mine.

autonovice wrote:

“JP, I use marine grade terminals and wiring. They are all tinned. I use the fully insulated ones: http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/product ... -insulated

@ Autovice: ► Marine grade terminals are defiantly the best, especially the marine tinned versions. Anything tinned just makes life so much easier. So that's a great tip mate! Even though I'd terrible luck with tinned products before I will try this shop in the near future.

“ They are crimped only and not soldered.”

► Crimping is great too. Infact people are fine just crimping things together. I personally crimp and then solder because I tend to overthink things.

“Added heat shrink tubing where needed “

► Agreed. I even think that heatshrink should be a must for any electrician's list of things to buy. Infact I do think the electrician at ICON derelict cars and trucks triple heat-shrinks his wiring splices. But this is a bias; I havn't met him myself though, as I've only heard of this through one of Jonathan Ward's videos. I kind of want to meet the man myself one day.

“ dab of dielectric grease before connecting them together. This is to keep dust and water out.”

► I defiantly love dielectric grease. I think it's literally silicone grease and it's safe to use on rubbers and the like. I personally use marine liquid tape for sealed joints since I personally think it provides a better seal for heat-shrink tubing tobe added. Literally anything with terminals exposed to the elements I use dielectric grease on. Literally everything else. DG defiantly has made it's prescience in my engine bay.
People who aren't familiar with quality will chase quantity

blueg

Post#33 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:34 am

JP.
I have not seen an engine to engine dampener. I do not see the logic.
Engine to carrier or engine to shock tower I get.
As the engine vibrates all together, how does dampening timing cover to head make any sense unless the dampener just absorbs any vibration but where is the energy dissipated?
I would have thought that bracket was for the periscope.

offroad-world

Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Post#34 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 am

blueg wrote:What's that worth??

i have one converted to 12 volt with 3 step resistor and cable and correct levers for W460 .

mfg. guido .
Attachments
CIMG3299.JPG
CIMG3300.JPG
CIMG3301.JPG
CIMG3302.JPG

offroad-world

Heaterbox stuck. Noobie question

Post#35 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:04 am

Attachments
CIMG3303.JPG
CIMG3304.JPG
CIMG3305.JPG
CIMG3306.JPG

vadimivanovich

Post#36 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:11 am

BlueG, the dampener is for the serpentine belt!
"The way you think is the way you live"

blueg

Post#37 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:31 am

In lieu of, or as well as tensioner pulleys? Not a fan of serpentine belts.
All eggs in one basket.

vadimivanovich

Post#38 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:43 am

Yeah but serpentine belts are MUCH less failure-prone than V-belts. The shock absorber smooths out the vibration in the spring that keeps tension on the tensioner pulley. It's nice that MB made it this way as it's easy to release the spring externally for service, and everything is exposed and accessible.
"The way you think is the way you live"

cal_w460

Post#39 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:49 am

I have seen far more serpentine belt failures on OM602, OM603, OM606 in different G wagen groups than V-belt failures. Some members having problems getting a serpentine belt hold more than a couole of weeks. Ofcourse because of other bad parts such as bearings etc. But this doesn't happen to V-belts in my opinion.
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

cal_w460

Post#40 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:50 am

Converting a heater box from 24V to 12V is simply a matter of buying a 12V Bosch motor and a resistor. The Bosch motor without fan blade is 35 EUR. A far better resistor than what MB uses costs 10 EUR. For three speed you need two.
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”