Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Europa 463 dash disassembly

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
bart1

Europa 463 dash disassembly

Post#1 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Is there a DIY out there somewhere that shows this? I did some searching but haven't found it. I need to take mine apart to address a rattle and also replace some bulbs. I also don't know the bulb numbers, but I may be able to figure that out.

Otiswesty

Re: Europa 463 dash disassembly

Post#2 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Do you know whats rattling? Have you tried removing the stereo, glove box, and/or instrument cluster first to investigate the rattle? These are all much easier to pull than the center dash.

Which bulbs? The rocker switches? Different bulbs have different access and different bulbs.
461.213, 463.241

bart1

Post#3 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:52 pm

I am pretty sure it’s the bezel around the locker switches. We’d to pull that burl trim off.

The lights in the climate control section don’t work at all. Others are dim. May consider upgrading, but mostly just want them all to work.

Otiswesty

Post#4 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:36 pm

The rocker switch lights are just dim. My climate control lights do not work either, so I am interested to find out why as well.

Pulling the burl trim in the center around the locker switches and rear wiper switches involves taking off the steering wheel and removing the long wood trim strip. The center console is screwed to the dash behind the wood strip on the top and 2 more screws to the sides of the radio and oddments cubby on the bottom. The wood trim has some 8 or 6 small 7/8mm plastic nuts holding it to the plastic framework behind it. If you are just checking how secure the locker switch pack is in place, you may not need to remove the wood piece.

I have not been able to get the plastic frame off and away from the dash as it's movement is restricted by the heater levers. I may just be missing some easy step, let me know if you figure that out.

It is possible that your rattle may be from HVAC duct work or something behind the dash fascia. This is a good time to get an ABS off switch hooked up. The wiring plug is typically zip tied to the fire wall, but on my 1997 G300 it was just hanging back there (possible rattle cause). You can pop out the headlight washer switch and just use that spot for ABS off, that is the most common swap.
http://fourbyfourclub.com/W463Electrica ... AbsOff.htm

This pic shows the back of the plastic console with the very early 463 switch pack. Yours will have a different plug arrangement.
Attachments
oldStyle.jpg
oldStyle.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 485 times
461.213, 463.241

Otiswesty

Post#5 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:43 pm

I got a 7 hole panel off of eBay to add the ABS-off switch. I got my switch from fourbyfourclub.
Attachments
7hole.jpg
7hole.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 483 times
461.213, 463.241

bart1

Post#6 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

When I place my finger on. That faded black surround around your locker switches the rattle stops. Pretty sure that’s it. I have to take the freaking steering wheel off to get the console trim off?? I may get more creative if that’s the case.

Otiswesty

Post#7 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:43 pm

There's a metal trim strip behind the wood strip that may rattle if the 3 screws on the top of the center console are loose. If you pull the wood strip free on both sides of the steering wheel, you can scissor up the right side and get to the screws back there without having to take off the steering wheel.
461.213, 463.241

Winston

Post#8 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 pm

Otiswesty wrote:There's a metal trim strip behind the wood strip that may rattle if the 3 screws on the top of the center console are loose. If you pull the wood strip free on both sides of the steering wheel, you can scissor up the right side and get to the screws back there without having to take off the steering wheel.

Do as Otiswesty says here. Removing the wood trim for the first time definitely brings a lot of anxiety but the pieces are more durable than you’d think. Get a set of plastic trim removal tools if you don’t already have them.
IG @oldironmash

Otiswesty

Post#9 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Per Alan's suggestion, I took out the little screw directly behind the steering wheel in the wood trim and cut it into 2 separate pieces at that point. Now it is easy to remove the longer wood strip without pulling the steering wheel. Almost impossible to notice it has been cut. The early 1990's 463 were a 2 piece wood strip from Graz.
461.213, 463.241

bart1

Post#10 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Winston wrote:
Otiswesty wrote:There's a metal trim strip behind the wood strip that may rattle if the 3 screws on the top of the center console are loose. If you pull the wood strip free on both sides of the steering wheel, you can scissor up the right side and get to the screws back there without having to take off the steering wheel.

Do as Otiswesty says here. Removing the wood trim for the first time definitely brings a lot of anxiety but the pieces are more durable than you’d think. Get a set of plastic trim removal tools if you don’t already have them.

Got the full set from griots. Used the g wagen as a skidder today. Cut down a big tree at my father in laws placed and used the g to help. Couldn’t have gone better.

Will try to disassemble when I have time.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”