Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Otiswesty 300GD truck project

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Otiswesty

Otiswesty 300GD truck project

Post#1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Well, a while back I bought a very rusty 300GD from the SE USA to use the interior, HVAC and dash for my nice 280GE open top. Once I had it stripped out, I had planned to sell or auction it off cheap. It sat gutted on the street in front of my house for 6 months. Amazing nobody complained.
I was able to get it titled as a special interest vehicle to the disgust of the DMV employees here. Ha! ;) Never will need registration or DEQ check to be done in Oregon again.

As I poked around and looked beneath the rotting sheet metal, it seemed the frame was actually in decent shape. I could turn the crank shaft a bit by hand as well. So I decided to rebuild it and found a single cab body from Mike Pagger at Tschiewagon in Graz Austria. He gave me a good deal, but the shipping arrangement took forever on and on. Finally, many months later it arrived. My dreams were answered as it is completely rust free and in beautiful mil surplus condition from Holland. I think almost unused.

The 300GD is taken down to the frame. Most of the body mounts look good except for the front two. One of the shock mounts needs replacing, the other has been done already. I will need to weld on two additional body mounts for the rear of the single cab body, so I have some welding work in my future already.
Attachments
BareFrame.jpg
RearFrame.jpg
GoodPaint.jpg
BadMount.jpg

Otiswesty

Re: Otiswesty 300GD truck project

Post#2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Due to the fact that I have never done this sort of thing before, I will ask a bunch of questions for the experts and peanut gallery here.

I will need to replace all of the steel and rubber brake, fuel, and locker lines. Almost all of them have an area of severe corrosion and occasional rust through. The fuel lines and locker main are 8mm OD and the brake and locker distals are 5mm OD. The large lines look like they are all just flared, but the smaller ones have a screw on connector, at least the brake lines.

Soooo, as a first step, I am looking for sources for mild steel or stainless lines, flaring tool and capacity to add the screw on ends.
Attachments
Tubing.jpg

vadimivanovich

Post#3 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 pm

You can buy the screw-on ends... M10X1 IIRC. Flaring tools are around - don't buy the cheap ones. Rpanter also makes new lines to whatever length you want/need, and will even add stone guards or whatever, if you like. He was very reasonably priced, last I saw. The fuel lines could be replaced with plastic, but if steel, McMaster Carr probably could help. Rubber lines are easy online dealer items.

So glad this project is taking shape!
"The way you think is the way you live"

cal_w460

Post#4 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 pm

Nice project!

Just use Copper-Nickel hard lines (CuNiFe) for brakes and fuel lines. They don't rust and are bit stiffer and alot easier to make nice straight sections than normal copper. Wich is not permitted on vehicles over here.

You can use the same flaring tool for the fuel lines to give them a slight "waist" for the rubber lines to grip. Like the OEM ones.

Looking forward to see the rest of the project. I guess it will become a LWB wheel based single cab. :)
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

jhw.

Post#5 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:39 am

Awesome look forward to seeing this.
Nice find with the shell!

grazza

Post#6 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 am

Wow, exciting! Another single cab on a 2850mm frame.
Thinking of extending the frame, perhaps to 3150mm?
Would like to do so myself but a lot of regulatory hoops to jump through here which I dont think you would have to deal with.
But I am happy with my frame and tray now.
My cab had to go through RHD conversion too, which you dont have to deal with.

What sort of tray/tub/camper are you thinking of?

G Nome

Post#7 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:34 am

Looking good Eric. Way to get after it.

Kent

schuhe

Post#8 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Eric,

Wonderful. Is this G headed toward being a single cab, pickup truck, or cab for camper?

Good thing you have a plan of "action." A local friend suffered from a long term resting Gwagen, and his wife began using the hood as a garden re-potting bench, and parked many potted plants around the premier of the vehicle. Personally, I prefer carved granite Japanese lanterns in my garden.

I used stainless braided brake lines between the line terminus block to the calipers. My lines are newer, painted OD or German military green. Must have been R/R at some point.

aircruiser

Post#9 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 am

Looking good Eric!

All good advice above. Copper Nickel lines and a nice set of flare tools from Eastwood is my future plan. Fabricate the new hard and soft lines for brakes, lockers, and fuel using the old stuff as a template, mock up, then set aside until your chassis is ready for assembly. Depending on the condition of your wiring harness, use a similar process.

Right now my chassis looks much the same as yours, my regret is not sharing a container with an extra single cab for my Crusty project.

The decision to remove everything, blast, weld, prime, paint, replace lines, bushings, new seals, hardware to make like new. Or, clean, mend, touch up, replace what is necessary to make totally functional is a tough choice for a perfectionist.

offroad-world

Post#10 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 am

aircruiser wrote:The decision to remove everything, blast, weld, prime, paint, replace lines, bushings, new seals, hardware to make like new. Or, clean, mend, touch up, replace what is necessary to make totally functional is a tough choice for a perfectionist.

THE BEST OR NOTHING :mrgreen:

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”