Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Europa 463 Axle Service

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Otiswesty

Re: Europa 463 Axle Service

Post#11 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:25 pm

That makes sense of course. I must have misunderstood about the small ring and interpreted that to mean the boot as well.

Rdharte

Post#12 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Someone PLEASE do a video tutorial on this repair. https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMqEwgNSwRFnPsJZ7

w123_sedan_guy

Post#13 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:12 am

I'm in the process of doing this work now. Maybe I'll do a video of the passenger side once I complete the driver side and have one of these rebuilds under my belt ;) .

- Kyle

Mdan1

Post#14 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:04 am

If you were closer, I would of driven up and given you a hand. Keep us posted on your findings, aha moments, should of done it this way, etc etc

g4garret

Post#15 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:26 am

Interesting thread. I'm doing this same job, today, on my Europa G500, that has 260,000 miles on it. It had previously never had any maintenance of any kind on the front axle, other than diff fluid changes, and one set of brake rotors and pads. So, I was expecting a lot of worn parts. Clearly though, that is not the case, other than the CV boot and outer wiper seal.

Anyway, I do have a couple of comments so far, and the first one is the special tools that are required. I'll just start a list, and come back and edit it:

1. Hub nut socket MB #
2. CV Joint special circlip pliers, MB # 000 589 52 37 00
3. Homemade CV Boot clamp compressor, made from standard hose clamps

w123_sedan_guy

Post#16 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Hey Garret,

I saw your post about this just after I updated this one earlier today. I have the Hub nut socket and a set of CV clamp pliers. I have a nice set of snap ring pliers I'm hoping to use the on the CV joint. I haven't taken the joint apart yet. Mine is good just the boot is bad. I won't be taking the bearings out of the race. Like you, I've got some miles. 265K miles on these with no service history.

I read the comment on your thread about possibly slipping the boot on from the differential side of the axle shaft but my driver side is looking like its to fat to try something like that.

From the service manual, there's also some special clamp for setting the preload on the Kingpin bearings. I'm still not sure what I'll do about that. There were no shims when I took them out.
- Kyle

dcurbet

Post#17 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Just keep it the same way you took it out regarding the shims

g4garret

Post#18 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Does anyone know the trick to get the CV boot on from the diff end of the axle shaft? I've fought with it for 2 hours now, and I can't get it the last centimeter. I have it stuck on the widest part of the shaft assembly, which is a collar for the inner axle oil seal.

Is it really possible to do it this way on a 463, without separating the CV joint?

Thanks,
Garret

g4garret

Post#19 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:40 pm

Update - I finally got the CV boot on from the diff end of the axle shaft, a 2 1/2 hour job. Kitchen oven finally did the trick, along with a whole lot of swearing and using a butter knife as a shoe-horn. Good thing I'm not married anymore.

Seems like so many steps on this job are long and frustrating. I'm tempted to draw parallels with other vehicles, but I won't. I understand, enjoy and benefit from the positive aspects of those differences which result from this frustratingly designed and precisely built Rubik's cube of a vehicle.

Well, I'm off to take some ibuprofen and get some more ice for my burned finger tips before getting some sleep for day three of this service odyssey.

vadimivanovich

Post#20 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Yes, it's possible. The rubber is very stretchy - probably polyurethane. Put a piece of packing tape around the shaft collar so the boot can slide over without getting caught on it. Use grease or soap to help it slide.

Sounds like you got it - warm temps can help too I guess. congrats! These things are long & frustrating on the first run. When you've done it 10 times, it's much easier, but still not what you think of as a "good time"
"The way you think is the way you live"

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”