Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

G300d overheating

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Dubai_wagon

G300d overheating

Post#1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Dear Folks,

i have bought a G300d V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642 and im happy with the car running , but i have a concern that i would like to share with you and get your expert support/advise on them:

- the car drives normally but whenever i reach to speed over 100km/hr specially on our hot weather noon time where weather temperature reaches 40-50c degree, i got the msg of oil ( Hi) and the car temprature reaches close to 100 :
hi.jpg

is it normal for this engine to operate in this high temprature ( close to 100 )
what i need to check for the alarm of oil pressure high ? is it a sensor that needs to be checked or is it really overheating too ? and what to do to resolve this issue ?

thanks and best regards

Johnny Christensen

Re: G300d overheating

Post#2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 am

I think if you ask in both the South African and Australian G forums, you should reach a few people with experience in very warm climate and the G300 pro.
https://www.mb4x4.co.za/index.php

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/austral ... 7e5h8sRDIU

dcurbet

Post#3 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:18 am

That Hi message is a common malfunction on my sprinters. It has something to do with oil level reading or maybe oil pressure. I never quite figured it out... it’s not worth the investment. Been fine for almost 150k miles

as far as temp I think any higher than 105 C is cause for concern (check fan clutch) otherwise 95-105 Celsius is normal engine temp.

AlanMcR

Post#4 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:22 am

The fan clutches don't last forever. And, in your climate, it might be having a harder life than usual. I'd consider swapping with a known good fan clutch, or just getting a new one.
...Alan

Dubai_wagon

Post#5 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Johnny Christensen wrote:I think if you ask in both the South African and Australian G forums, you should reach a few people with experience in very warm climate and the G300 pro.
https://www.mb4x4.co.za/index.php

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/austral ... 7e5h8sRDIU

Hi Jonny thats a great idea .. i have started the same and i really appreciate your advise,

thanks a lot

Dubai_wagon

Post#6 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 pm

dcurbet wrote:That Hi message is a common malfunction on my sprinters. It has something to do with oil level reading or maybe oil pressure. I never quite figured it out... it’s not worth the investment. Been fine for almost 150k miles

as far as temp I think any higher than 105 C is cause for concern (check fan clutch) otherwise 95-105 Celsius is normal engine temp.

Hi dcurbet, i may give the message a try by replacing the oil level sensor , in case the current sensor is malfunctioning ..since rest is fine and there is no overheating.. will let know if the msg disapears after installing the new sensor..

for the temp,, it didnt cross the 95-100 at any time so far.. i will keep an eye and watch it.. im sure in a month time when the weather will start to calm and get cooler , i wont see even the 95 anymore... its just my luck that i started to experience this car on the peak of summer season here where weather temp touchs 50c easily :D

Dubai_wagon

Post#7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 pm

AlanMcR wrote:The fan clutches don't last forever. And, in your climate, it might be having a harder life than usual. I'd consider swapping with a known good fan clutch, or just getting a new one.

Hi Alan , the existing fan clutch looks fine and i beleive it works with the engine speed , so it should operate normally specially its the OEM fan .. i might take it to the mechanic to have a look at it ..

thanks for the advise

Fernando BR

Post#8 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 am

Take in mind that those new diesels use to work in higher temps to control emissions.
95C looks like normal at 100 kpm and that external temp.
My old (new MB rebuild) 602A manual says its normal to work near 100C on hi temp days at hi speeds (105 kpm..LOL) , strong uphills, etc...It can also arrives a little over 100C for short time periods and decrease quickly. When cruising , soft foot can reduce turbo pressure what is also good.

Dubai_wagon

Post#9 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 am

hi all,

i made a small change:

i removed the Cyclone air filter on my snorkel and put the elephant nose filter facing front to get more air into the engine on drive.

i will observe the temprature tomorrow on the same trip, temprature and speed ..

i hope it will reduce the temprature a bit :D

Dubai_wagon

Post#10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 am

Fernando BR wrote:Take in mind that those new diesels use to work in higher temps to control emissions.
95C looks like normal at 100 kpm and that external temp.
My old (new MB rebuild) 602A manual says its normal to work near 100C on hi temp days at hi speeds (105 kpm..LOL) , strong uphills, etc...It can also arrives a little over 100C for short time periods and decrease quickly. When cruising , soft foot can reduce turbo pressure what is also good.

thanks Fernando for the valuable info and advise.. i also today met with the local mercedes dealer workshop here in dubai and explained the same, for him he thinks that its normal temprature as long as it doesnt exceed 100c for long time...

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”