Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

removing lower door trim on 463

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
vadimivanovich

Re: removing lower door trim on 463

Post#21 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:19 am

Where the large hole is you are missing the outer layer of sheet-metal. It needs to be covered or else it's a water magnet. MIG welding is the most commonly used method. If you want it right and are unfamiliar with repairing this, I recommend having a body shop do the welding for you. They do this all day.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Roverrange

Post#22 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:25 am

Do you think I could solder in a piece of steel there? Or rivet and panel bond?

If not I’ll check with a local body shop. Most around here don’t want to be bothered with little stuff like this.

vadimivanovich

Post#23 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 am

It's your truck, so your choice. If you want to do the repair once, I think you can guess my answer :P

Try to talk to a welder at a fabrication shop - see if he'd be willing to moonlight the repair. I imagine an hour of labor would go a long way.
"The way you think is the way you live"

apple

Post#24 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Roverrange wrote:Do you think I could solder in a piece of steel there? Or rivet and panel bond?

If not I’ll check with a local body shop. Most around here don’t want to be bothered with little stuff like this.

You could see if there are any mobile welders in your area, my local craigslist has a selection of freelance and master certified welders willing to travel and charge by the hour.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”