Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

OM617a EGT Probe Placement

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
vadimivanovich

Re: OM617a EGT Probe Placement

Post#11 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Looks perfect!
"The way you think is the way you live"

NorwayW461 240gd

Post#12 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:33 pm

Can this be done safely with manifold on engine and turbo or is risk of shavings too high such that it is worth time to remove it? I wasnt planning on using egt but out of concern for fueling parameters on rebuilt engine it would be useful data in hindsight...
Do things that are hard, and your life will be easy. Do things that are easy and your life will be hard.
-thad in idaho. '04 G500+'81 lwb 240gd

vadimivanovich

Post#13 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:01 pm

Metal chips in the turbine would be a killer. I'd remove the manifold. Ceramic coat while you're at it so she's puuurdy.
"The way you think is the way you live"

hupomone

Post#14 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 am

PNZWGN wrote:The probe is sitting secure. Nice and tight and definitely not going anywhere.

Question for those who know... is the probe sunk in enough..? Threads are all the way through to the inside...

IMG_5681.JPGIMG_5682.JPGIMG_5683.JPG

I will deburr the inside shortly before shipping it off. Let me know about those threads if they don't look good. 475th thing I've never done before since owning a W460 now complete 8-)

Those threads have plenty of engagement. NPT taper threads always make me second guess myself but they are designed to be that way and allow for some lifecycle wear and still have more taper to seal in the future. Looks great!

G Nome

Post#15 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:05 am

I think they are one of the most important gauges with a Diesel engine especially if you have made any changes to fueling, turbo, exhaust etc.

Next step is to know when to back out of throttle when pulling a hill and watching it. They change a lot and often.

I call it... Drive by Pyro!

My 2 cents worthless on Wednesday before coffee.

Kent

PNZWGN

Post#16 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 am

hupomone wrote:
PNZWGN wrote:The probe is sitting secure. Nice and tight and definitely not going anywhere.

Question for those who know... is the probe sunk in enough..? Threads are all the way through to the inside...

IMG_5681.JPGIMG_5682.JPGIMG_5683.JPG

I will deburr the inside shortly before shipping it off. Let me know about those threads if they don't look good. 475th thing I've never done before since owning a W460 now complete 8-)

Those threads have plenty of engagement. NPT taper threads always make me second guess myself but they are designed to be that way and allow for some lifecycle wear and still have more taper to seal in the future. Looks great!

Thank you... appreciate that.
"wherever I may roam..."

PNZWGN Mk II build thread: https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

PNZWGN

Post#17 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:19 am

G Nome wrote:I think they are one of the most important gauges with a Diesel engine especially if you have made any changes to fueling, turbo, exhaust etc.

Next step is to know when to back out of throttle when pulling a hill and watching it. They change a lot and often.

I call it... Drive by Pyro!

My 2 cents worthless on Wednesday before coffee.

Kent

Yes... your previous comments had been haunting me so I'm knocking this out not ahead of the superduperturbodiesel upgrade.
"wherever I may roam..."

PNZWGN Mk II build thread: https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

NorwayW461 240gd

Post#18 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:38 pm

How about post turbo install, add 300F? Too much variability/nonlinearity? I read some stuff from the w123 forums and racers going after turbo to reduce risk of something falling or breaking into turbo. And of course im wanting to avoid taking it all apart, already cerakoted manifold and turbo housing btw vadim ;)
Do things that are hard, and your life will be easy. Do things that are easy and your life will be hard.

NorwayW461 240gd

Post#19 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Avoid un-necessary disassembly if equivalent in information provision and safer for malfunction in other words.

G Nome

Post#20 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:33 am

I add 200 degrees with after turbo placement but would love to hear opinions and experience.

I back out of throttle over 1000 degrees if a long pull. I can usually stay at 55-65 mph on long hills doing this with SWB 606a Auto 4spd 7.5 pump 3” exhaust with muffler.

Kent

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”