Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Battery Jump Starter

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Phred

Battery Jump Starter

Post#1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:33 am

So I have a quick technical question...

I have on my "to purchase" list a 24v battery jump starter for my Wolf. They run about $350 or so.

In each of my two cars, I carry a 12v brick-type starter. They work well and have started my GMC truck once, they have some kick and work well.

My question...when I travel in the Wolf, can I attach a 12v brick starter to each battery (two total) to get a 24v jump start? Only for emergencies obviously...but it would save money.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

NorwayW461 240gd

Re: Battery Jump Starter

Post#2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:55 pm

that's a great question, but they also make 24V jumpers if I'm not mistaken?
Do things that are hard, and your life will be easy. Do things that are easy and your life will be hard.
-thad in idaho. '04 G500+'81 lwb 240gd

Rcarradine

Post#3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:01 pm

You can jump start a 24V system with a 12V as long as the 12V system is in parallel with one of the batteries in the 24V system*. It may draw more from your jump starter, but should work. You can connect to both batteries as long as the 12V sources connecting to the batteries in the 24V system are electronically isolated from one another.

*If you're jumping a 24V system from a vehicle with a 12V battery that is connected to the vehicle, you want to connect to the first battery in series on the 24V rig (from GND to 12V and not 12V to 24V).
http://gwagen.net/280ge/

mogwild

Post#4 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:12 pm

https://no.co/gb500

These guys make (IMHO) Great products (that one's WAY expensive, but they make others more reasonably priced but I'm not sure if any are 24v)

I've in person seen this puppy jump start a stone dead kenworth though, previously I didn't believe in jump packs, until I seen it work. I doubt anyone's buying a 2k jump pack but I thought it was wicked.
-trev

NorwayW461 240gd

Post#5 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:08 pm

That jump pack is sweet, and for 24v system on truck its really nice to have 12v usb as well for cell/sat phones, gps, thermal optics etc.. but damn man that price is insane.
Do things that are hard, and your life will be easy. Do things that are easy and your life will be hard.
-thad in idaho. '04 G500+'81 lwb 240gd

AlanMcR

Post#6 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Those demos need to be examined carefully. If the ”dead” 24v batteries were still in the circuit then they provide a substantial boost to starting. I've tried starting my G with a dead battery+jump and just the jump box. The dead battery helped a lot.
...Alan

Phred

Post#7 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:17 am

NorwayW461 240gd wrote:that's a great question, but they also make 24V jumpers if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, they do as I mentioned in my post...the issue is cost.

Shelling out $350 vs using what I have...and may only need on very rare occasions.

Phred

Post#8 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 am

mogwild wrote:https://no.co/gb500

These guys make (IMHO) Great products (that one's WAY expensive, but they make others more reasonably priced but I'm not sure if any are 24v)

I've in person seen this puppy jump start a stone dead kenworth though, previously I didn't believe in jump packs, until I seen it work. I doubt anyone's buying a 2k jump pack but I thought it was wicked.

Big bucks for rare occasions where two $75 12v items may work...hence my original question

Phred

Post#9 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 am

Rcarradine wrote:You can jump start a 24V system with a 12V as long as the 12V system is in parallel with one of the batteries in the 24V system*. It may draw more from your jump starter, but should work. You can connect to both batteries as long as the 12V sources connecting to the batteries in the 24V system are electronically isolated from one another.

*If you're jumping a 24V system from a vehicle with a 12V battery that is connected to the vehicle, you want to connect to the first battery in series on the 24V rig (from GND to 12V and not 12V to 24V).

So jump the 12v good battery to only one of the 24v batteries? Pos to pos...and neg to neg?

So what about the twin 12v jump starters?

Attach first one pos to pos, neg to neg...then attach the other the same way to the second battery?

Phred

Post#10 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 am

NorwayW461 240gd wrote:That jump pack is sweet, and for 24v system on truck its really nice to have 12v usb as well for cell/sat phones, gps, thermal optics etc.. but damn man that price is insane.

Only $1500 on Amazon...

But still insane!

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”