So..... I usually post my work once I've finished the project and validate that it works (for vanity's sake as much as anything.) This time I'm attempting something that is a different animal for me. I will need all of the collective clubg knowledge to complete it
Parallel to another 617a winter project I'm already underway with (and a basement that I'm building out
) I am attempting to install "factory" air conditioning into my W460/617a. I know, I know... but the summers here are sub-tropical and it's just something I've got to get behind me to maximize our enjoyment of this truck. It is miserable to be in this truck without AC and windows down/top up is great sometimes and sometimes its not.
The way I see it, restoring a W460 (regardless of the engine) is your undergrad work that earns you your BA in W460 ownership. Swapping in a 617a is your postgrad work that earns you your master's degree in W460 ownership. Ultimately one earns their doctorate by later swapping in a 606 which is honestly not going to happen for me, so an air conditioning install will be my terminal degree, thus The Final Frontier.
Anyway, I've acquired a W463 heater box with AC evaporator installed from a fellow clubg member. I went this route as I wanted a "factory" AC set-up that utilizes my existing W460 lever controls and would allow for a "clean" install without butchering anything from the firewall back. Not knocking anyone who's successfully completed a Vintage Air set-up as that is an equal and probably superior accomplishment.
I just like factory. After discussing this box with a number of G gurus and after digging into the box myself it does appear to me that the upper half of my W460 non-AC heater box will marry-up to the W463 lower half that houses the evaporator and I think a hamster wheel style blower motor (more on that later.) I'm reassured of this theory by the part numbers stamped on the housings.
I have secured the "special" 617a AC thermostat housing which should be here in the next few weeks. I also have a line on the 617a compressor bracket and two rotary style compressors for test fitting (although I've not ruled out an electric compressor... I'm that desperate.) I think I know what dryer I need and the condenser/fans seem pretty straightforward. Once I have all of that installed I plan to backfilll with the hoses, switches and all of the other stuff I'm sure I'm not thinking of.
So let's get to it. Picking up the box from a G friend...
Long day but home safely
Disassembly on the Light side work bench (I would of course usually start this process on the Dark side work bench but it's at capacity with the 617a project...)