Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Torque Values & Torque Wrench Recommendations

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Court

Torque Values & Torque Wrench Recommendations

Post#1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 am

I realize it is about time I get myself a torque wrench even though I have got through life so far without one I am thinking I should obtain one for my upcoming IM removal and possible glowplug replacement.....but geez they are not inexpensive.

So this also got me to thinking / asking if there was a table somewhere of torque values... I seem to recall finding them somewhere when I did my front steering rod replacements and had to borrow a huge torque wrench from Minh (autonovice) ,,,,it was almost the maximum I could do to get those torqued correctly.

So any recommendations on a reasonable torque wrench for most situations? Electronic readout?

Any table of data on torque values for the entire G?

vadimivanovich

Re: Torque Values & Torque Wrench Recommendations

Post#2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:38 am

I own Snap-On torque wrenches because they are well made, can easily be calibrated, and hold their value. That said, the newer Harbor Freight and other chinesium torque wrenches have been tested back-to-back against other big expensive brands, often outperforming them. They certainly do look like they're nicely made now too. For what it's worth - you don't need to spend a lot to get a reliable one. Coronavirus may be included at no extra charge.
"The way you think is the way you live"

goat

Post#3 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:14 pm

I bought one of the Harbor Freight (a company I generally avoid) ICON torque wrenches after reading some comparisons to Snap-On.
Very nice.
It comes with the calibration specs.
G less
2008 Lexus GX470
2015 BMW X-5 35D

Court

Post#4 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Thanks Goat,

what was price range and size?

What I am discovering is that if it isnt available locally that my delivery times have skyrocketed......several days has now gone to 6 weeks or more... I am also looking for a long torx bit to do the IM bolts,,, thinking the short one on a socket wont quite reach the lower down bolts,, not sure actually but as I do not have the correct Torx bit socket (#40) I am not sure . Want that for the torquing up process.

Dam... bad timing for this work.... I still dont have my return line from California that has been sitting apparently at the Vancouver Airport for the last 4 days without delivery.

AlanMcR

Post#5 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:16 pm

A cheap bending bar style torque wrench is actually very handy for the IM bolts. With the bar type, you can see how close you are to the recommended torque, rather than waiting for the click.

My notes say:
Intake Manifold bolts 15Nm.
Glow Plug 20Nm
I went looking for that info in the manual and couldn't find it, so I gotta admit, I'm not sure of the source of that data.
...Alan

Court

Post#6 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks Alan,

I recently watched a video on YouTube of course and it was 27NM or 20ftlbs for IM bolts and for the glow plugs 20NM. I need to review it again. But I think it was a reliable source.

Court

Post#7 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Bending bar style are much less expensive so maybe that will be my choice.

AlanMcR

Post#8 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:58 pm

Maybe. However, I've broken an IM bolt at 15nm. No leaks either.

Also the head is soft aluminum. Be very gentle with the threads. When I had the opportunity, I helicoiled the lot of them, intake and exhaust.
(Yes, I've calibrated my torque wrenches).
...Alan

goat

Post#9 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Court wrote:Thanks Goat,

what was price range and size?

What I am discovering is that if it isnt available locally that my delivery times have skyrocketed......several days has now gone to 6 weeks or more... I am also looking for a long torx bit to do the IM bolts,,, thinking the short one on a socket wont quite reach the lower down bolts,, not sure actually but as I do not have the correct Torx bit socket (#40) I am not sure . Want that for the torquing up process.

Dam... bad timing for this work.... I still dont have my return line from California that has been sitting apparently at the Vancouver Airport for the last 4 days without delivery.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-Dri ... 64064.html
G less
2008 Lexus GX470
2015 BMW X-5 35D

vadimivanovich

Post#10 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:59 pm

It's an impressive copy of a Proto, who I believe supplies Snap-On. They mix up suppliers a lot though, so who knows.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”