Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Shipping G Wagen to S. Korea, recommendations

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Philbrownie

Shipping G Wagen to S. Korea, recommendations

Post#1 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Team, I'm shipping my 1984 300GD to Korea in June, and wanted to know if there's any must do checks/maintenance issues before sending it overseas.

I'm already doing some of the standard fluid replacements, as I'm not sure what's going to be available (MT Redline, etc) via mail or store once in the ROK.

I'm also going to clean the engine compartment, spot clean/address rust spots here and there acquired since we've been in Pennsylvania.

Should I order parts stateside that may be harder to get in Asia?

Thanks and looking forward to posting pics of the G in action in the ROK!

Phil
1984 300GD LWB

Winston

Re: Shipping G Wagen to S. Korea, recommendations

Post#2 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:12 pm

My only suggestion is to make sure you have a locking fuel tank cap. ;)
1990 250GD 461.401
2000 G500 463.241
2006 G500 463.249

ekwalberg

Post#3 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Actually, I've shipped my truck to Europe. BE CAREFUL!!!

International shipping regulations require them to empty the gas tank, It's a fire hazard, so don't leave any fuel in it. It will be gone, and when you go to pick it up, even if it starts, assume it may run out of gas at any moment. I learned the (very) hard way. In other words, assume and plan to that you will be picking up a non-running vehicle, or that the vehicle will not be running when it is delivered. You should have a plan in place to deal with the battery being dead and the tank will be empty. You might want to consider simply disconnecting the battery and shipping it as a non-running vehicle. Then at least the battery will still have a charge on it when it arrives.

Also, get the insurance and take lots of videos and pictures of the vehicle immediately before it leaves your hands. Get EVERYTHING in writing. DO NOT take information by phone under any circumstance. If at all possible, pick up the vehicle directly from the port so that you don't have to argue about when the damage was done. Once your vehicle has arrived at port and been processed, your insurance doesn't cover any further damages.

I had a 2k in damages done by the company and it was a nightmare to get them to file it with their insurance. They had stopped responding. In the end, after already having spent months trying to get them to help, I had to spend another 6 hours putting together my case... Making 25 screen-shots of all our email communications and organizing the pictures to prove they had done the damage, that they had acknowledged that they had done it and that they had told me they would file a claim. I e-mailed the whole package of information clearly outlining the entire scenario (to everyone I had communication with) to show they were defrauding me and then suddenly they realized they had "accidentally" forgotten to process my claim.

You will be most likely taxed on the value of the part/items in the truck so be aware that they may suddenly not be so cheap after you have to pay import taxes on every part. There is also some risk that parts can be stolen from the vehicle. That problem I didn't have.

If you've owned the vehicle long enough, you might not have to pay import duties on the truck, but ONLY if you notify the authorities ahead of time to get an exception to the import duties. I learned that the hard way so I had to pay 2-3k more dollars than I expected because they didn't tell me I needed to file for exemption ahead of time.

Philbrownie

Post#4 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:55 pm

Oh wow, great advice and that sounds like a horrible experience shipping to Europe. Mercy. Great point on the fuel and battery. We do have to drop it off and pickup at the port, so that inspection will be critical as you mentioned.

Will do on the locking fuel tank cap!
1984 300GD LWB

vadimivanovich

Post#5 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:36 am

I expect that a locking gas cap will easily be overcome by force if they are checking for fuel draining compliance or trying to steal gas. Just arrive to pick it up with a compact jump-starter pack and a 20L gas can.
"The way you think is the way you live"

rpin

Post#6 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:31 am

I've looked in to shipping to Thailand and while the information is available online, there are brokers that can handle the whole thing. Might be something to consider if there's a potential language barrier (?) and something to be said for working with people who know exactly how to navigate what sounds like a tricky situation. For Thailand if the vehicle is gonna be there for 6 months or less, it's a temporary import permit and you don't have to pay import taxes, but it's not recommended to bring any parts in as that could be taxed (not cheap) unless you can prove they are leaving with you which could be a pain and likely to involve some bribery (at least in Thailand). I've also heard that in some places, you drop off the truck and confirm that it's locked in the container and have to be there when they break the seal and unlock at the other end. Maybe some similar things to consider for S Korea?

ekwalberg

Post#7 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:54 am

I think a locking gas cap is a terrible idea becssue if they have to verify the tank is empty to get the truck on the boat, they're either going to break the gas cap or they're going to call you back to unlock it. If you're lucky they'll only damage the gas gap. If you're unkucky you'll have a damaged fuel neck.

I used a "reputable" company and they did handle everything, so they did move it through fast, but that's exactly why you have to be careful and well informed.

They will do what ever gets them them most money and moves the truck through customs the fastest, which usually means trying to charge you the max import duties because any exceptions are more work for them. And they'll ask you for information which sets you up to pay more rather than save money. Your a random guy moving one car once. Which is the vast majority of their business.

dcurbet

Post#8 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm

For a vehicle to be temporarily imported into any country the registration of its home country has to be valid and so you just drive around on your home plates. Most often this is possible for the registered owner of the vehicle only.
Most companies will not accept a vehicle with fuel in it and some will require that it be inspected for such and others will require that you sign a certifying letter attesting to such. Some companies won’t even ship vehicles. I am referring to container shipping mostly.

I think the OPs question refers to taking care of the vehicle in terms of maintenance. Maybe an attempt to source service parts at destination should be made now. See what they cost and if they re available. You may or may not be able to ship parts with your vehicle. Simple maintenance parts may be OK but still you’ll have to list everything you put in the vehicle.

Otiswesty

Post#9 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:24 pm

A 20' container may be a decent option compared to RoRo. More expensive, but also more controlled.

Philbrownie

Post#10 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:57 pm

All great stuff, thank you, and yes the original question was more leaning towards preventive maintenance for the trip.

Thankfully (or not), its a government move, so there are multiple checks and balances on the way.

I have a NOCO Boost Plus that goes almost everywhere with me, and will bring to the port for pickup. Good call on the fuel can as well. Good perspective on the locking gas gap, I'll hold for now.
1984 300GD LWB

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”