Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Window Regulator - easier than I thought to replace

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
TechMOGogy

Window Regulator - easier than I thought to replace

Post#1 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Took about an hour.
Kit from fourbyfour was complete and easy (the right tools help too)
In winter is was super slow and last week it died completely - nice to have a fast driver side window again!
I assume old one (dead motor) is garbage?
Attachments
208DFF5B-B54C-4DB9-B467-2A5EC78753AD.jpeg
F5C77BCD-B934-49C1-8EB1-04146AB16460.jpeg
0C3B6CD5-48A0-4AD5-B60B-02295F3233F2.jpeg
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

paulunm

Re: Window Regulator - easier than I thought to replace

Post#2 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:29 am

I'm in the middle of this as well, waiting on parts. Also surprised at how easy it was to remove- I was expecting rivets like the 2001+, but it's just bolted in.

The regulator can be rebuilt, Performance Auto Glass in Redwood City, CA does them- Otiswesty has used him.

My failed regulator is aftermarket, so I decided to buy a new Valeo off eBay. Failed regulator looks like yours, gold motor with a blue hose- what brand is that?

Pictures of the Valeo online look different- hoping I have better luck. My motor was full of water and it hasn't rained here in a couple months....

AlanMcR

Post#3 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am

I cleaned out the motor and lubed the cable. 10 years on it still runs smooth.
...Alan

DesertStar

Post#4 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:05 pm

I too had the slow and finally not moving driver window. I ordered up Valeo part 851236 from Amazon vs Ebay to ease if needed to return for quality purposes.

While waiting for part to arrive from Latvia, I did as Alan did and my old regulator came back to life better than when I first purchased...fast, like the other doors.

Upon arrival, new Valeo unit looks exactly like old except for the plastic blue tube and electrical connector.

I now have a spare which now looks like may be in my spare parts storage for at least 10 years? :roll:

TechMOGogy

Post#5 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 pm

paulunm wrote:I'm in the middle of this as well, waiting on parts. Also surprised at how easy it was to remove- I was expecting rivets like the 2001+, but it's just bolted in.

The regulator can be rebuilt, Performance Auto Glass in Redwood City, CA does them- Otiswesty has used him.

My failed regulator is aftermarket, so I decided to buy a new Valeo off eBay. Failed regulator looks like yours, gold motor with a blue hose- what brand is that?

Pictures of the Valeo online look different- hoping I have better luck. My motor was full of water and it hasn't rained here in a couple months....

Same Valeo 851236

Thanks all, I will keep it and mess with motor as a spare
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

paulunm

Post#6 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:46 pm

DesertStar wrote:I too had the slow and finally not moving driver window. I ordered up Valeo part 851236 from Amazon vs Ebay to ease if needed to return for quality purposes.

While waiting for part to arrive from Latvia, I did as Alan did and my old regulator came back to life better than when I first purchased...fast, like the other doors.

Upon arrival, new Valeo unit looks exactly like old except for the plastic blue tube and electrical connector.

I now have a spare which now looks like may be in my spare parts storage for at least 10 years? :roll:

So you had to change out the connector? How difficult was that?

paulunm

Post#7 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:20 pm

Also while the regulator and window are out, super easy to replace the factory sound deadening that’s coming off the door.

9A5C9165-282E-4718-8925-C9B70EC807EB.jpeg

DesertStar

Post#8 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:04 pm

TechMOGogy wrote:
paulunm wrote:I'm in the middle of this as well, waiting on parts. Also surprised at how easy it was to remove- I was expecting rivets like the 2001+, but it's just bolted in.

Same Valeo 851236

Thanks all, I will keep it and mess with motor as a spare

I did not change regulators. However, changing connection would be as easy as cutting wires of old regulator connector with enough wire to splice with butt connectors on to the new regulator motor wires to utilize existing connection of wire harness. You could do the same and convert wire harness connection to new style connector of regulator, but would then need to have matching connector to mate to new type on replacement regulator.

TechMOGogy

Post#9 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Mine came with a new connector and I have a great crimping tool for electrical.
No real sound deadening a 96 350GDT Worker :)
You can see the small rectangle of it in connector photo
Attachments
7B786A24-AFC8-4B71-BA35-EF332E9663BB.jpeg

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”