Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Building a Scoop

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Classified

Building a Scoop

Post#1 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 pm

I have noticed Shortcake getting a little hotter than i am comfortable with. So, I have decided to add a scoop and possibly upgrade the intercooler. The original STI intercooler is woefully lacking.

After looking at the available options I decided I could make something that looked more appropriate. I am debating if I should weld it on or bolt it on what do you guys think?
If perfection was attainable, who would want it?

Johnny Christensen

Re: Building a Scoop

Post#2 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:56 pm

Classified wrote:. The original STI intercooler is woefully lacking.

If you have a STT converted 617. Then that little lunchbox thing is not a intercooler, it's to give a bit extra volume to the intake manifold.

A intercooler would be a wise addition to keep the engine alive for longer.

Classified

Post#3 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:29 am

Johnny Christensen wrote:
Classified wrote:. The original STI intercooler is woefully lacking.

If you have a STT converted 617. Then that little lunchbox thing is not a intercooler, it's to give a bit extra volume to the intake manifold.

A intercooler would be a wise addition to keep the engine alive for longer.

Thanks, thats what I am working on, one step at a time. I have an intercooler from a mini cooper i am working on putting in.

inkblotz

Post#4 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:49 am

Always liked the look/shape of the Minis intercooler. Have you removed most of the firewall to hood rubber trim just below the windshield? This allows more hot air to exit the engine compartment when driving and on cold days will help defrost the windshield.

Classified

Post#5 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:30 am

inkblotz wrote:Always liked the look/shape of the Minis intercooler. Have you removed most of the firewall to hood rubber trim just below the windshield? This allows more hot air to exit the engine compartment when driving and on cold days will help defrost the windshield.

No, i havent removed that. Thanks for the tip. Curious, does that pull in any fumes?

inkblotz

Post#6 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:55 am

Classified wrote:
inkblotz wrote:Always liked the look/shape of the Minis intercooler. Have you removed most of the firewall to hood rubber trim just below the windshield? This allows more hot air to exit the engine compartment when driving and on cold days will help defrost the windshield.

No, i havent removed that. Thanks for the tip. Curious, does that pull in any fumes?

nope

Classified

Post#7 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 am

Going to do some ferri-gami. Just taking my time, I am only using cordless tools so this is day 3. Maybe I will get to the welding this evening.
Attachments
Scoop.jpeg

Classified

Post#8 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Resized_54823495-b166-494b-9384-d129e152874a_9943216516153.jpeg
Resized_7e119a26-1111-4731-8749-b353666453c6_9895069077838.jpeg
Rough fit

AlanMcR

Post#9 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:23 pm

You might want to test which way the air is going to flow. It isn't entirely clear to me
...Alan

Classified

Post#10 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Its going to have a fan pulling onto intercooler.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”