Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

pre-MBUSA door pocket mounting repair pieces

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Gummershardt

Re: pre-MBUSA door pocket mounting repair pieces

Post#11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 am

What a great idea and design, count me in

Mdan1

Post#12 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:13 am

Maybe do a door handle retro fit on the plastic tabs that break off on the upper mounting point. I currently have 3 out of the four tabs broken.....

stevegsmith

Post#13 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:14 am

me too please
Steve

autonovice

Post#14 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:01 am

Let’s hope there is much interest that the offer price will come down a bit and the OP will recover the research and development costs and still have enough $$$ for beer.

Allen

Post#15 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:33 am

Alrighty, well there seems to be enough interest that'll we'll move beyond just the few small batches we've made for me to keep around and repair customer vehicles. It'll be a couple days while we clean up the design, add some lettering to the parts to identify where they go on the door pocket, and I'll put together a bit of a how-to and throw it up on my website/this forum for folks to follow. The inside of the pieces are left rough to maximize surface area of epoxy to the door pocket while squeezing out any excess to the rest of the pocket. It's a bit of an over engineered piece for what it does :lol: I'll keep everyone up to date as far as what the costs involved are as it seems like we wouldn't waste our time getting a bunch of these made and just end up sitting on them forever.

autonovice wrote:Let’s hope there is much interest that the offer price will come down a bit and the OP will recover the research and development costs and still have enough $$$ for beer.

We're sort of bottom barreling this project to help some folks out as it is, I'll have to confirm what pricing would be this Monday/Tuesday, but I don't believe it'll be too far off the $40 mark I'm aiming for.

Mdan1 wrote:Maybe do a door handle retro fit on the plastic tabs that break off on the upper mounting point. I currently have 3 out of the four tabs broken.....

Got pics? Are you talking about the door handle escutcheon that have a habit of popping out when the doors are closed too hard? I'm working on those right now.

Otiswesty wrote:Are they made of Nylon?
I could use a set also.

These were done in ABS - the printing design is intended to spread the load to the rest of the door pocket when there's force applied. I have roughly 8 lbs sitting in the door pocket currently and I'm slamming the door to find a failure. At this rate, the pocket will break before these pieces will! :lol:
Allen K - gelandelocks on IG

Mortimus

Post#16 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:08 am

I'm with mdan1 for the door handle parts, have a couple broken aswell. Ill try and get some photos of the part today.

Allen

Post#17 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 am

Mortimus wrote:I'm with mdan1 for the door handle parts, have a couple broken aswell. Ill try and get some photos of the part today.

I'll keep an eye out for those

Allen

Post#18 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 am

Update!:

All, I redesigned the repair pieces slightly to increase surface area inside of the part for the epoxy and cleaned up the overall print for the final product. I want to be completely happy with the finish of these before sending them out. I have a test prints coming this week with branding and lettering added to the design to aid with install positioning.

I'll do a step by step pictorial on how to install these onto your door pocket and post up a bit of an order list at that time. I'd like to get atleast 15 confirmed and paid orders at $42.50 for me to go ahead and put the bulk order in. The price is SHIPPED in the USA. Between paypal fees, shipping material and fuel to the post office, I'm breaking even. Figured I'd do my service to the community with these lol I'll try to make some lunch money off my website or ebay with them otherwise.

I'll keep this post updated. Thanks for the feedback.

G Nome

Post#19 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 am

I see 8 sets requested so far. I'll bump mine up to 3 sets please. So that is 10 sets requested so far as of today on the post.

I agree on the tabs and will try to post a photo as well.

Thanks again.

Kent
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

JCGrimes

Post#20 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 am

It’s a great idea. I already used Alan’s fiberglass/epoxy method.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”