Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

AC issues

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Mavrick608

Re: AC issues

Post#11 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:02 am

Thank you all for the replies. At his point everything checks out minus the o rings...I will update with any additional insights, but yet again I am indebted to this group.

spallet

Post#12 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:23 pm

Good old Austin, Texas ,,,Hot as Hell

Chris

Post#13 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm

A faulty heater valve my be allowing hot water into the heater core even with slider all the way to blue.

Check both in and out heater hoses on firewall to see if they are hot to the touch.

dcurbet

Post#14 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:19 pm

R12 was awesome had it on my 92 9000 with dual AC systems. Super cold.

Those recharge kits are such a waste of money. Don’t even bother. If the system leaks, then what’s the point.
All the points above are valid, but in the end even the compressor itself can be tired and not ‘compress’ well enough. If you hook up to both ports you should be able to observe high and low pressure and you ll know right away what’s suspect. Find a good AC shop and stop by and discuss what they can/will do. A good machine a good tech (someone who s been aRound) should easily diagnose it for you.

Mdan1

Post#15 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 am

so it cools cold during the morning, then it doesnt work when driven the rest of the day?
Is your setup a r12 or r134? Do your fans run at high speed at temp during the day when the ac is running warm? Can you feel any cold air from the vents during the day or is it straight warm air? Duo valve could be clogged open, hence your getting hot air combined with your ac air. This is the valve that provides heat etc.
Check your condenser fans if they are running at high speed too, if not, this can cause lack of cold air conversion.
keep us posted on your findings.

vadimivanovich

Post#16 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 am

Sounds like a bad thermostatic switch that disables the compressor when the condenser is too hot. If it's switching much too early, you will have this behavior.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Mavrick608

Post#17 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:45 pm

One thing I haven't checked is the cabin filter...and to confirm this is the lower AC pipe where the Coolant goes correct?
Attachments
IMG_7594.jpeg
IMG_7595.jpg

autonovice

Post#18 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:06 pm

On my ‘92 350gdt, underneath the battery tray, there should be 2 hard line pipes attached to the firewall. These are the heater hoses. I assume your 320 has same set up. You then can trace back to the engine or coolant overflow tank.

AlanMcR

Post#19 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:46 pm

Chris wrote:A faulty heater valve my be allowing hot water into the heater core even with slider all the way to blue.

Check both in and out heater hoses on firewall to see if they are hot to the touch.

Definitely check this. There is an internal o-ring that seals the rotating valve. Mine got out of position and allowed a substantial amount of heat to get through at any setting.
...Alan

Chris

Post#20 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 pm

It happens to all of them!

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”