Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Towing Capacity for OM603?

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
User avatar
Covello
Posts: 213
Contact:

Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:36 am

Hey All!

I have always flirted with the idea of going full Vanlife. The idea of surfing in the mornings working on a laptop in the afternoons has always been appealing.

A friend of mine just bought a cargo van and is doing a conversion, and has stoked the fire for me a bit. I started doing research, of course a MB sprinter would be ideal, but pricey. But I figure, I already have a sweet truck, why would I need to buy ANOTHER vehicle? Then I found teardrop campers.

I have no idea if this would be feasible for me or not, but what I want to ask about is TOWING CAPACITY of the OM603.

I can barely get up to speed towing NOTHING lol. Are there weight recommendations for towing? What is the capacity? What do I need to be concerned with in towing with my truck?

If I do end up doing it, I think I would get a small one, like vintage overland, so it wouldn't be TOO heavy. 800-1200lbs?

Anyways, I literally have no idea, just sort of doing some research, and wanted to know what you guys think! Let me know when you can. Thanks!

User avatar
vadimivanovich
Posts: 8314

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#2 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:41 am

I've towed 2000+ Lbs with the OM603na. With your big tires I'd we concerned about loss of torque, but otherwise, I think it's a tough engine that can handle the extra load. You're going to fast-track that turbo 606 plan though.
"The way you think is the way you live"

User avatar
Flanker525
Posts: 1314

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#3 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 am

Your engine power has nothing to do with the vehicles tow limit (Which on a G is around 7,500 lbs if I remember correctly.) However, yes, there will be a performance hit the more weight you ad. My trailer probably weighs a good 800 lbs at least and I've put a full ton of wood pellets into it. My truck has less power then yours and it still got the job done. Albeit hills sucked but that was always the case trailer or no trailer.
2015 ML250
1991 350SDL
1982 300GD Cabrio PARTING OUT

User avatar
Covello
Posts: 213
Contact:

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:21 am

vadimivanovich wrote:I've towed 2000+ Lbs with the OM603na. With your big tires I'd we concerned about loss of torque, but otherwise, I think it's a tough engine that can handle the extra load. You're going to fast-track that turbo 606 plan though.


haha. First thought was "maybe a tear drop?" second thought was "well, I'll prolly upgrade to the turbo"


Flanker525 wrote:Your engine power has nothing to do with the vehicles tow limit (Which on a G is around 7,500 lbs if I remember correctly.) However, yes, there will be a performance hit the more weight you ad. My trailer probably weighs a good 800 lbs at least and I've put a full ton of wood pellets into it. My truck has less power then yours and it still got the job done. Albeit hills sucked but that was always the case trailer or no trailer.


Ah copy that! Good to know. I have no idea what the limiting factor is. 7500lbs is plenty, the biggest trailers are 1500. But you're right, might be heading up those hills sloooooow.

User avatar
Otiswesty
Posts: 5196

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#5 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Yes the towing limit is 7500#.
If you still have the NA 603, you may want to upgrade to the turbo motor as Mark/Inkblotz has done. Those 603 motors are tough as hell with hydraulic valves and piston oil squirters. They are built for longevity. They have stronger con rods than the 606a and it may be a better choice in the long run to turbo your motor +/- a modified IP to get the power you want out of it.
JMHO

Mdan1
Posts: 100

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#6 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 pm

sell your swb, find a nice lwb with the v8 5sp combo, get a camper top, your done.....you will also have ice cold ac.....

User avatar
AlanMcR
Posts: 5055

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#7 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:00 pm

The SWB towing limit is a bit lower. For the W463s it is listed as 2850kg or 6285lbs. Way more than a teardrop, but just setting the record straight.
...Alan

User avatar
Otiswesty
Posts: 5196

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#8 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 pm

I agree a tear drop would be an easy tow, but towing is usually not that great on a tight roads or offroad either. That is a different conversation tho.

People travel the world on motorcycles with a small amount of compact gear. You can make a nice camp with a SWB if you change your expectations and are happy with something other than a mobile living room.
Attachments
Camping.jpg
Breakfast.jpg

User avatar
Covello
Posts: 213
Contact:

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#9 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Otiswesty wrote:Yes the towing limit is 7500#.
If you still have the NA 603, you may want to upgrade to the turbo motor as Mark/Inkblotz has done. Those 603 motors are tough as hell with hydraulic valves and piston oil squirters. They are built for longevity. They have stronger con rods than the 606a and it may be a better choice in the long run to turbo your motor +/- a modified IP to get the power you want out of it.
JMHO


Oh trust me I have thought about it continually. Just haven't quite hit that need yet, though I do admit it would be great to have and a good move going forward. Maybe if someone PM'd me with the perfect engine for sale lol


Mdan1 wrote:sell your swb, find a nice lwb with the v8 5sp combo, get a camper top, your done.....you will also have ice cold ac.....


haha. AC is appealing but I think you have me confused with someone else who would sell their SWB :P


AlanMcR wrote:The SWB towing limit is a bit lower. For the W463s it is listed as 2850kg or 6285lbs. Way more than a teardrop, but just setting the record straight.


copy! good to know!


Otiswesty wrote:I agree a tear drop would be an easy tow, but towing is usually not that great on a tight roads or offroad either. That is a different conversation tho.

People travel the world on motorcycles with a small amount of compact gear. You can make a nice camp with a SWB if you change your expectations and are happy with something other than a mobile living room.


I mean, I've been having a blast with the rooftop tent, I just want something more stealth so I can sleep in it near surf breaks and not have to worry so much.

User avatar
Covello
Posts: 213
Contact:

Re: Towing Capacity for OM603?

Post#10 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 pm

So the latest idea right now is to forgo the teardrop, remove the back seats and built a bed that extends when the front pass seat is leaned forward. I think that would / could work, and then underneath I would have a long sliding drawer for a fridge and stove.

Any thoughts?

I'm about to go watch 40 hrs of youtube videos on the topic. lo.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baddy, cal_w460, Eisenhart, Fernando BR, Gpanzer, Johnny Christensen, Mercano, nbutze, paulunm, PNZWGN, Winston, Yandex [Bot] and 17 guests