Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

The wiring diagram project

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
rhd280

The wiring diagram project

Post#1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 pm

The G-wagon wiring diagrams are hard to read, and as time goes on, hard to find. This sticky is the Wiring diagram coloring-project.

• UPLOAD: Please post large-size jpgs of g-wagon diagrams that are under 4MB maximum size, but with high compression so they are at least 2000 x 3000 pixels. If you don’t know how to do this, use a high resolution cell phone camera and then go to a site like https://compressjpeg.com/ or https://tinyjpg.com/ to compress the jpg you will then upload. Be sure to identify what models it covers. A W460 is not the same as a W463 and different models of W460 have different diagrams, even by year where the model stays the same.
  • COLOR-CODE: Next comes the work that future owners will give thanks long after you are gone. If you are handy with Photoshop or another jpg program, download the image posted and begin to draw color-coded overlays on the lines. For example, sw rt means a black and red wire so you draw a black and red line. Using PhotoShop this easily works with two-color drawing, three color is a bit harder, as you have to hand overlay the 3rd color.
  • BONUS: If you want to be really good, set the width of the line to correspond to the thickness of the wire. You can find the width on the wiring diagram.
  • TRANSCRIBE: Then look up the table where they have code numbers that correspond with the destinations of the wires. For example, the diagram will have a number or a number/letter, like "E6", and the table will say E6 = “Parking light, left". At the E6 location on the diagram, type in red "Parking light, left" but place it so it does not cover up something important. If it is an option (usually the table says SA), use magenta
  • Please keep this sticky clean. No “thank you” posts or “anyone have a diagram for a XXX?" Make those separate non-sticky posts. No one wants to page through cheerleader posts when their electrical system is failing. They want quick, clear answers for their model. Keep it clean:

The only reply should be "I have checked the above post and

A) find it to be correct
    B) found an error which I corrected, or
    C) found an error here {identify where} and I lack the capacity to fix it.

Later it would be great if each wiring diagram key was also amended with where-to-find-it photographs. It's one thing to reference the pulse generator (52) It is far more helpful if there are a set of photos showing (a) where the pulse generator (52) is located, in situ and (b) a few details that show what the pulse generator (52) looks like. This is best done when replacing a bad part, or by one of the forum members who is dismantling a dead or wrecked G-wagon for parts.

And finally, eventually the electronic G-wagons will get to classic age needing computer documentation for geeks. It would be good to document them as well. Not as wiring diagrams but circuit board repairs.

rhd280

280 GE Wiring Diagram - color coded and descriptions added

Post#2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:47 pm

280 GE Wiring Diagram - color coded and descriptions added
Model Years unknown - some are reported to be slightly different
W460-Color-Wire-Diagram-640K.jpg
Last edited by rhd280 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhd280

230GE Wiring Diagram

Post#3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:54 pm

230GE Wiring Diagram - years uncertain - black and white - ready for downloading and color coding
230GE_Page_1.jpg
230GE_Page_2.jpg

petrusar2000

Re: The wiring diagram project

Post#4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 am

excellent idea!! :idea:

Fernando BR

Post#5 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:10 am

Fernando BR

Post#6 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:12 am

7 pin diagram
Attachments
12N7PinDiagram.gif
12N7PinDiagram.gif (18.94 KiB) Viewed 3011 times

rhd280

240d 300D wiring diagram ready for color-coding

Post#7 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:41 am

240d/300D Ready for Color-Coding

240D-300GDWiringDiagram-1.jpg
Ready for color-coding
Attachments
240G-300GDWiringTable-2.jpg

paulunm

Post#8 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:33 am

I'm hoping someone can help me determine the wiring layout on my alarm control unit, which is part number- 1298204126

I think have an issue with my tow sensor- part number- 2028203826

The alarm control unit is accessible above the fuse box under the dash, but the tow sensor is buried next to the blower motor.

Alan was kind enough to supply the attached diagram, but this is way over my head.

The tow sensor is a 4 wire unit, so I'd like to disconnect it at the alarm control unit to test disconnecting it.

Anyone know where to find the wiring layout for the control unit?
Attachments
AlarmWiring.pdf
(329.22 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

AlanMcR

Post#9 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:20 am

Looks like the third page didn't make it onto the pdf. N27 is the sensor. It looks like you could just unplug it and all would be good. I doubt that it would hurt anything to try. Pin 1 seems to be the "I've been moved" pin. The other two are either power or enable.
...Alan

paulunm

Post#10 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks Alan, but the tow sensor is buried to the point I can’t get to it- so I’d like to disconnect the wire at the alarm module.

I tried disconnecting the alarm module and that made the door locks inoperable.

Sorry for cluttering up this thread...

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”