Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Owning a G320 M112 -- Questions

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
RBBailey

Owning a G320 M112 -- Questions

Post#1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 am

Here it is! I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed much since it was last sold, listed here, about six years ago. Loving it so far, just keeping my fingers crossed that the Mercedes quality rings true. Here is my album of pics so far. I'll get some off road pics soon enough.

50390530052_e8ccfe7e75_h.jpg

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQGKM7w

I now have tons of ownership questions that I'm hoping people can help with. The first set is just the stuff to buy, and have on hand. I like getting stuff from Amazon, and I usually buy in pairs so I can always have one on the shelf.

General:

• Best type of oil?
  • Gearbox, diffs?
  • Air filter?
  • Plugs/wires?
  • Brake fluid?
  • Diff lock fluid?
  • Other tune-up stuff?

I think I have it figured out from looking at videos, but I want to make sure I'm locking the diffs correctly, and the low range operation as well.

Is there a good aftermarket version of brakes and pads, or should I just stick with original?

Specific to issues with this truck:
- The driver's door light switch (for dome light) seems to be inoperative. Is this a simple pop-it-out-and-change-it job?
- There are several dash lights not working behind various switches, and the HVAC controls. Best way to pull panel off and repair?
- Headliner is sagging a bit in the rear. Is there any fix, or is this something that simply needs to be replaced once it gets bad enough?
- The AC is not working. Now, in the past, when I've had AC units go out, turning the system on does SOMETHING. Relays click, a fan turns on, the clutch is heard. But in this case, NOTHING. Where would you start to begin diagnosis?
1998 G320 Puch M112
1965 Land Rover Series IIa SWB
1995 Land Rover RRC LWB
1998 Land Rover Discovery LSE

AlanMcR

Re: Owning a G320 M112 -- Questions

Post#2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:20 pm

The door switch just comes out. Might need some persuasion. When it's out check that grounding the end of the wire makes it work correctly. Otherwise there may be a problem elsewhere.
...Alan

Otiswesty

Post#3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:43 pm

That's a unique nice ride, congratulations!
461.213, 463.241

RBBailey

Post#4 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:01 pm

For parts, which do you like best?

Right now, the light switch I need is $4 cheaper at: www.mboemparts.com

But I've used Pelican Parts for other vehicles. Anyone have any problems with mboemparts.com?
1998 G320 Puch M112
1995 Land Rover RRC LWB

apple

Post#5 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:30 pm

RBBailey wrote:vehicles. Anyone have any problems with mboemparts.com?

That's the dealership Mercedes-Benz of Naperville. So yes quite legitimate, but not the cheapest option out there. There are numerous US dealers moonlighting as online OEM parts suppliers with cost-plus pricing models.

I've found mymbgenuineparts.com to be one of the quickest.

and

parts.edhicksimports.com to be the cheapest. Please let me know if you find one cheaper.

G Nome

Post#6 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm

I think it is also important to support the excellent resources we have that have a huge and sharing knowledge base as well when we can. It keeps them in business as well. Some develop parts for G Wagens and there is not a lot of volume for it to make sense financially.

Guido offroad world
expedition imports
Fourbyfour club
911 motosports
G wagen accessories
and others i am forgetting but you get the idea

My 2 cents worthless after 9am Pacific.

Kent

RBBailey

Post#7 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:48 pm

G Nome, do these in your list have random parts for any G-Wagen (like door light switches) or are they more specialized? I'll certainly look to support our locals if the part there and shipping is good.
1998 G320 Puch M112
1995 Land Rover RRC LWB

RBBailey

Post#8 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:59 pm

So there is something a little goofy about the steering. I can't quite identify what I'm feeling because I've only ever driven one other G for a brief test. But the steering box is leaking, somewhere on the engine side. When driving, the steering wheel is usually a bit leftish, and the car sometimes wants to steer rightish. I might also be feeling some kind of intermittent looseness or a slight clunk.

All of it is very subtle, and the steering isn't 'bad' just not 100% correct. If these symptoms seem familiar, I'd like to know where I should start looking.

The door light switch seems to just be dead. I tested the others as well, and the system seems to be working correctly, but I have two of the four switches inoperable. So I put the two that do work into the front doors, and I'll need to order two new switches.
1998 G320 Puch M112
1995 Land Rover RRC LWB

apple

Post#9 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:41 pm

G Nome wrote:I think it is also important to support the excellent resources we have that have a huge and sharing knowledge base as well when we can. It keeps them in business as well. Some develop parts for G Wagens and there is not a lot of volume for it to make sense financially.

Guido offroad world
expedition imports
Fourbyfour club
911 motosports
G wagen accessories
and others i am forgetting but you get the idea

My 2 cents worthless after 9am Pacific.

Kent

+1

Excellent sources for custom parts, accessories, NLA oem stuff, euro market parts, etc.

For general Mercedes parts I think the dealer drop ship sites provide a valuable service in allowing easy access to genuine MB parts at what are basically wholesale prices. Many of us don’t live in proximity to a hospitable MB dealership but if you have access to an EPC and the internet you could basically order an entire G wagen piece by piece.

at all costs avoid the scalpers and eBay stores that mark up readily available MB parts at 200%+ of list...

DesertStar

Post#10 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:11 am

If you do not know, the left knob with the blue temperature ring is the compressor switch. Turn it clockwise in conjunction with the blower switch in position 1 thru 4 and you should have cooling.

If not, check the fuse. On my G320 it is fuse 19. Fuses are found behind carpeted panel above passenger feet.....decal should be in place with fuse mapping.

If fuse OK, then have system checked by mechanic that knows a/c. This is a simple basic system used on the older Gwagens similar to systems used in farm tractors and the sedans of old. It may be that you are low on refrigerant or leak and low pressure switch preventing compressor to turn on.

Hopefully something simple. Some attachments below.

Mike
Attachments
C53D4249-B073-4D95-9D5C-F8EA6795F179.jpeg
95BC8D17-0D01-455E-8683-3B8270C983A0.jpeg
63C879D6-806F-421C-A78D-4AE73C7F67A3.jpeg

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”